cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic NAT for internet access, best practice to use outside interface IP or different IP then interface?

Jack G
Level 1
Level 1

I generally I see the outside interface IP used for the dynamic NAT, though after enabling RAVPN, etc. there appears to be a warning in FMC about possible conflict, etc. Is it a best practice to use a different IP than the outside interface for dynamic NAT assuming you have more than 1 public IP to work with?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Jack G General practice, yes use a unique IP address or pool of IP addresses for outbound Dynamic PAT.

Obviously if you don't have spare IP addresses you won't have that luxury.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

@Jack G General practice, yes use a unique IP address or pool of IP addresses for outbound Dynamic PAT.

Obviously if you don't have spare IP addresses you won't have that luxury.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Neither way is more or less secure than the other.

As far as best practices, from an engineering point of view you want to make sure the dynamic NAT/PAT has enough resources for the potential clients. If you have more than a couple hundred devices that will be using the NAT, then it's advised to use a larger address pool.

Understood, thank you. The main issue appeared to be with IPSec. A device on the inside was trying to make a IPSec connection out and couldn’t due conflict, I think it was related to ISAKMP 500...?Ended up creating a static NAT with an different public IP for that device which resolved the issue. I think it was 

@Jack G If the outbound IPSec connection from the inside was translated behind the ASA interface IP address and the ASA's outside interface itself was listening on udp/500, then yes I can imagine why that would not have worked. Your static NAT using a different public IP address was the correct way to resolve it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card