Views
Helpful
Replies

Fast access but secure

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know how i can configure my firewall ASA with an access from the outside to my asa device. I know that it would be better a vpn but this is just to make some fast configurations and then log off.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you do not want to use a VPN to connect to your ASA and configure it from there, then you could just enable SSH for the outside interface.  It would be best to allow only a specific IP, but if you receive a dynamic IP from your ISP then you might consider allowing any IP to connect to the outside interface (this is a major security risk and I do not recommend doing it).  The best would be if you were willing to set up a VPN, connect to the VPN and then ssh to the ASA.

username NAME password PASSWORD

crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048

aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL

ssh 0 0 outside

ssh version 2  <---use version 2 if at all possible

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpfull posts

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

If you do not want to use a VPN to connect to your ASA and configure it from there, then you could just enable SSH for the outside interface.  It would be best to allow only a specific IP, but if you receive a dynamic IP from your ISP then you might consider allowing any IP to connect to the outside interface (this is a major security risk and I do not recommend doing it).  The best would be if you were willing to set up a VPN, connect to the VPN and then ssh to the ASA.

username NAME password PASSWORD

crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048

aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL

ssh 0 0 outside

ssh version 2  <---use version 2 if at all possible

--

--

Marius,

Is there any vpn config I can use to replace the ssh connection?

thansk.!

I am not sure I undersant your question.  Could you please clearify this a little more.

--

--

Insted for ssh what other option? o some type of VPN?

Thanks

Well, you have to use either SSH, ASDM, Telnet or a console cable (directly connected) to manage the ASA.  Telnet is not a secure protocol and is not permitted to connect to the ASA on an interface that has a security level of 0.

So your most secure method of administering the ASA is to connect to VPN and then connect to the ASA using one of the methods.

--

--
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card