Helpful
Replies

FMC - External Auth Using a Specific AD Group

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

FMC v7.0.5

Very new to Firepower (*coming from ASA) and I'm setting up an External Auth using a MS Active Directory. Following a guide on youtube, I configured the LDAP server in order to allow a specific group in our AD to login to the FMC GUI. However, it's "sort of" working.

I'll post the configuration below... And a screenshot.

Firstly, just to confirm, I am able to login with my AD user (*BTW, my user is basically a global administrator user account). My user is also a member of this "Network Admins" group I created, along with a few other admins in the company. So, just to test that it was allowing me to login because I was in the Network Admins group, and not because my user is an Administrator user in AD, I created a test user in AD and put that regular user into the Network Admins group. However, this test user fails to login and fails the "Test" option during setup.

Primary Server: <primary-server-ip>
Port: 389
Secondary Server: <secondary-server-ip>
Port: 389

Base DN: dc=acme,dc=com
Base Filter: empty (*not sure if maybe this is what's missing...?)
User Name: <AD-main-admin-user>@acme.com
Password: ***********
Encryption: None

UI Access Attribute: sAMAccountName
CLI Access Attribute: sAMAccountName

Group Controlled Access Roles:
Administrator:
CN=Network Admins,CN=Users,DC=acme,DC=com
   *Copy and pasted the above from the Attribute Editor tab in AD for this group's "distinguished name"...
Group Member Attribute: member (*this is what they said to put in the guide I watched...)

When I enter the test username and password I created into the Additional Test Parameters section and click the Test button, I get the following:

MatthewMartin_0-1685996980213.png

When I enter MY username and password here and click Test, I get:

MatthewMartin_1-1685997041648.png

Both my user and the test user I created are in the "Network Admins" group I put in the "Administrator" field under Group Controlled Access Roles, shown in the config above and attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

1 Reply 1

srigovi2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Based on the provided configuration, here are a few things to check and consider:

1. Base DN: Ensure that the Base DN is correctly set to the distinguished name of your Active Directory domain. In the given example, it is set to "dc=acme,dc=com," which should match your Active Directory structure.

2. Base Filter: The Base Filter field is left empty in your configuration. Normally, this field is used to specify additional filtering criteria if needed. If you don't require any additional filtering, leaving it empty should be fine.

3. Group Member Attribute: The Group Member Attribute is set to "member" in your configuration, which is the correct attribute for member-distinguished names in Active Directory.

4. Group Controlled Access Roles: Make sure the distinguished name (DN) for the "Network Admins" group is correct. You mentioned copying it from the Attribute Editor tab in AD, so ensure it matches the exact DN of the group.

5. Encryption: Currently, you have "None" selected for encryption. Depending on your security requirements and Active Directory configuration, you may want to consider using SSL/TLS encryption for secure communication between the FMC and Active Directory.

When testing the additional test parameters with the test username and password, ensure that the username and password are correctly entered. Double-check for any typos or misspellings.

If the test user continues to fail authentication and the test, it's important to verify that the test user has the necessary permissions and is a member of the "Network Admins" group in Active Directory. Additionally, check the logs on the Active Directory server and the FMC for any error messages or authentication-related issues that may provide more insights into the problem.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card