Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD NAT Question

benolyndav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

If I NAT a range on our FTD to a Pool of addresses before it goes across a VPN do I need any extra ACLs, I am seeing the traffic on the peer FTD and its now sourced from the new NAT pool, ??

Thanks

11 Replies 11

You have  VPN S2S and your local LAN is NATing to pool of IP?

İf yes then any IP in pool need to include in ACL of VPN 

MHM

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You only NAT when the situation of Overlap IP range, if not i would suggest do not NAT on VPN Traffic.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @balaji.bandi 
Thats why Im natting the traffic.

Thanks

In  that case should be ok other you should see only NATed IP address pool.

here is the concept same should work on FTD :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-firewalls/211275-Configuration-Example-of-ASA-VPN-with-Ov.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@benolyndav traffic is translated before encryption, so the VPN uses the NAT ip addresses to define interesting traffic when establishing the VPN tunnel.

@Rob Ingram 
So as I am seeing the traffic on the peer Firewall and is now seen sourced from the NAT Pool range then should be ok ??

Thanks

@benolyndav possibly, run "show crypto ipsec sa" and check the encap|decap counters are increasing for that peer, that is a good indication the tunnel is full operational. You can also run "system support firewall-engine-debug" filter on the traffic being sent over the tunnel and confirm traffic sent and receive.

@Rob Ingram 
I could see comunters for encpa/ecaps increasing but still wasnt able to access anything, the new Nat range could be seen on the peer Firewall as the new sourc address, any ideas. the source range is in a vrf which is allowed on acl and the new nat range has been added to the tunnel and seems to be working fine.??

Thanks

@benolyndav If traffic is received on the peer end from the NAT address, that indicates you are sending the traffic over the tunnel and the peer is receiving it, perhaps they are not returning the traffic over the tunnel (routing issue their end for the return traffic)? Can the peer send traffic to your NAT address and you see this on your end? Can the peer take a packet capture on their end to confirm bi-directional traffic?

Can't access anything ..that not good

Try use 

Packet tracer remote LAN to local LAN

Packet tracer local LAN to remote LAN

Use the real IP in your packet tracer' share result here 

MHM

Remote peer see traffic from NAT pool IP not real IP

Dont worry it ok

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card