Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD Smart Token

h.dam
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Question about the smart token for my FTD 2130.

I have 2 FTD to create a cluster A/P. How many tokens do I need? One for each FTD or not?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you do not want to allow the FMC access to Internet or if you are using FDM and dont want to allow the management interface to access internt, then you need to setup a smart license satellite server.  In this case it is the satellite server that connects to the internet and fetches the licenses and the FMC or FTD connects to the satellite server to register the license.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

How are you managing the FTDs?  If using FMC you only need a single token for the FMC.  If using FDM you need to register each device separately.

--

Thank you for your reply.

another question:

how can I get registered my FTD in en environment without internet access?

what is the satellite license?

If you do not want to allow the FMC access to Internet or if you are using FDM and dont want to allow the management interface to access internt, then you need to setup a smart license satellite server.  In this case it is the satellite server that connects to the internet and fetches the licenses and the FMC or FTD connects to the satellite server to register the license.

--

Hello,

One more question about the token.

I got the token with 365 days. Is it possible to extend more than this value? e.g. 2 or 3 years.

After this period, is there any impact concerning the FW features?

I think you have a misunderstanding about the difference between the token and license. Token is just used to authenticate the device to the smart security portal. Once the device is registered no further action is needed from the token. A token that had a lifetime of 1 year is a very long time. Usually you would only have a token that is valid for the needed time period required to register a certain amount of devices. This is so you do not need to create a token each time you need to register a device during a project, for example. If you do not have any other devices you need to register i would suggest deleting that token. It is not a good practice having tokens active when you do not need them.

--

Thank you for the clear explanation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card