Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM flash format and load new image

tomyjoseph17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

My FWSM flash has got corrupted and I need to format the same. After the format I have to upload the new image and boot the box and restore the configs. Please  help me if you have any document for the procedure.

Regards

Tomy

4 Replies 4

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tomy,

What version of software are you running? Are you sure "fsck" would not suffice? I've rarly seen a need to format the flash.

In anyway formtting should not wipe out the image (AFAIR), but it will not affect running configuration for sure.

I.e. after format is done you can do "write mem" or "write mem all" (in multicontext) and it should write the back config to flash.

Marcin

Tomy,

As Marcin rightly said try using "fsck" first and see if that resolves the issue coz  fsck repair the corrupt file system and that should resolve the issue in most cases.

however if you still see the problem after running fsck you can follow the below steps to format the disk.

1. backup all your files from the disk.
2. issue "format disk:" (it will erase the whole disk)
3. issue a write mem all (it should create back all your context files)
4. check if you still have the issue

hope this helps you.

Amit

Hi Marcin/Amit,

Version is 4.1(2)

Will the current image will be deleted from the flash after format ? If so how will do the recovery ?Will FWSm boot into monitor mode ? Please share if any procedure is there for recovery ?

Issue is that not able to write to flash , an error saying unable to open the flash is received.

Regards

Tomy

Hi tomy,

Once you format the flash, YOU SHOULD copy the image 4.1(2) back to disk before reloading it. Formatting the flash does not force the FWSM to reload. Also, ensure you do a "wr mem all" or "wr mem" to save the running config to startup config as well.

Regards,

Prapanch

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card