cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM in transparent mode

Chris Brun
Level 1
Level 1

Attempting to set up the FWSM in transparent mode (single context).  Here is my scenario:  I have a 6509 with 3 VLANs…40 (DMZ), 41 (Staff), and 42 (Inside).  I would like to use the FWSM to control access transparently between the 3 VLANs.

Here is what I have set up:

firewall multiple-vlan-interfaces

firewall module 7 vlan-group 40

firewall vlan-group 40  40-42

interface Vlan40

ip address 10.40.0.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan41

ip address 10.41.0.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan42

ip address 10.42.0.1 255.255.255.0

!

FWSM

FWSM Version 3.1(10)

firewall transparent

!

interface Vlan40

nameif DMZ

bridge-group 1

security-level 0

!

interface Vlan41

nameif Staff

bridge-group 2

security-level 50

!

interface Vlan42

nameif Inside

bridge-group 3

security-level 100

!

access-list DENY-ALL extended deny ip any any log

access-list DENY-ALL extended deny icmp any any log

access-group DENY-ALL in interface DMZ

I understood that without any ACLs, the default action would be deny, however I was able to communicate freely between all the VLANs.  I added the ACL to explicitly deny anything from the DMZ, but still able to communicate.

Would appreciate any assistance in how I can get the FWSM in transparent mode to control traffic between 3 VLANs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vlan 40 and 41 should be in the same subnet.

But hosts on switchports vlan access 40 and 41 will go through the FWSM that will be bridging these vlans.

So make sure you have 2 ports with hosts in each vlan and that their ip addresses are in the same subnet.

try pinging between them and then the FWSM should be bridging and you will see traffic through it.

I hope it helps.

PK

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

I "think" I followed the instructions ... placing two VLANs in a single bridge_group (although that goes against everything I believe about routing!) ... but still can not seem to control access between VLAN 40 & 41.  I still have full access between devices on both subnets.

interface Vlan40
nameif DMZ
bridge-group 1
security-level 0
!
interface Vlan41
nameif Schools
bridge-group 1
security-level 50
!
access-list DENY-ALL extended deny ip any any log
access-list DENY-ALL extended deny icmp any any log
access-group DENY-ALL in interface DMZ

Appriciate any advice.

Vlan 40 and 41 should be in the same subnet.

But hosts on switchports vlan access 40 and 41 will go through the FWSM that will be bridging these vlans.

So make sure you have 2 ports with hosts in each vlan and that their ip addresses are in the same subnet.

try pinging between them and then the FWSM should be bridging and you will see traffic through it.

I hope it helps.

PK

Thank you...that was my misunderstanding.  Both VLANs are using the same subnet linked back together by the bridge-group --- the pieces all fit now!

Yup, glad it helped.

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card