Views
Helpful
Replies

Help in determining current FXOS and Firwmare versions on FPWR 4120

ThomasD86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I was tasked to upgrade the ASA version on a firepower 4120 that has not been upgraded ever since 2016. As I read the available documentation online (I never worked/been trained on the firepower platform) I understood that ASA is a layer that runs over an underlying OS called FXOS.

So if I want to upgrade the ASA module, I should first determine whether or not the FXOS underneath supports it.
In order to ugprade FXOS however, I should also determine whether or not the device firmware can support the target FXOS version.

In my case I am unable to determine what are the current FXOS and firmware version installed on the device. I looked up various documents and the CLIs listed there are not working for me.

Right now I log in remotely to the device (not through the "management" interface) and I am directly in the ASA shell, typing "connect fxos admin" returns a parser error (invalid input). Same thing for trying to check the firmware version "scope firmware" returns an error as well.

How can I go about determine what FXOS and firmware version is the device I need to ugprade is running?
Thank you in advance

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Firepower 4120 has a physically separate chassis management interface used to manage the hardware itself. That interface is assigned an IP address and you can browse to it via https to open the Firepower Chassis Manager (FCM). The FCM GUI shows details including the FXOS version and allows you to upload newer versions and upgrade.

You can also check via cli using the physical console interface on the hardware.

Chakshu Piplani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The best way is to login to FXOS CLI/UI, if you don't have access to FXOS and just want to determine the version.

run command "show tech" on ASA and the second line usually shows the FXOS version.

e.g.

XXXXX(config)# show tech 

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.12(2)
Firepower Extensible Operating System Version 2.6(1.133)
Device Manager Version 7.12(2)

Regards,

Chakshu

Do rate helpful posts!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card