cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

If Host OS set to Windows Server 2008 R2 why trigger linux related Sig?

evan.chadwick1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I am focusing on the accuracy of firepower applying appropriate IPS signatures based on Host definition. I've raised a couple of posts already online. However I'm still finding out from the server team what is definitely installed on the servers.
I finally have an obvious example based on Operating System.

If I have a host defined as Windows Server 2008, why would IPS signature 46736 be applied to it (D-link router login.cqi command injection) 1:46736:2 ?

Am I wrong to expect Firepower to see an inbound login attempt on port 80, that exploits a linux based operating system, drop it silently to all windows defined hosts in my network?

1 Reply 1

evan.chadwick1
Level 1
Level 1

My thinking at this stage is to try to tackle this with a separate IPS policy that just defines my public facing DMZ. I might get a more dynamic FP recommendations experience over time which will begin to set such signatures to just 'drop' and not 'drop and generate events'.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card