Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing aip ssc-5 in a failover pair

3moloz123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a pair of aip ssc-5's that needs to be installed in a pair of failover pair of 5505's. I wonder what the right process is, minimizing downtime. Will there be problems if I take the passive node down, install the aip ssc-5 and boot it up, because they are not identical hardware wise?

I also wonder if the configuration of the modules will be replicated, or if it will have to be manually configured identical.

Thanks in advance for any insight

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amitaaga
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Will there be problems if I take the passive node down, install the aip  ssc-5 and boot it up, because they are not identical hardware wise?

Yes, this understanding is correct.

We need to arrange some downtime to be able to carry out this activity. Steps that can be followed are as follows:

1] Shut down the standby unit. Insert the module inside it & let it be down.

2] Shut down the active unit. Insert the module inside it and power it back on. (the time it will take to carry out this task will be the net downtime)

3] Once the active unit comes back on. Power on the standby unit.

4] Configure policy to redirect traffic to the aip module on the active unit. This policy will get replicated over to the standby as well.

5] Configure IPS modules separately on both ASA's as config on the modules wont get replicated.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think the failover pair will not reestablish correctly when you install the SSC-5 in the standby unit as the hardware will no  longer be identical. (Though I've never tried it with AIP modules per se.)

Re configuration, only the firewall service policy rules directing traffic to the module is replicated. Any configuration of the IPS itself must be done separately on each module.

amitaaga
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Will there be problems if I take the passive node down, install the aip  ssc-5 and boot it up, because they are not identical hardware wise?

Yes, this understanding is correct.

We need to arrange some downtime to be able to carry out this activity. Steps that can be followed are as follows:

1] Shut down the standby unit. Insert the module inside it & let it be down.

2] Shut down the active unit. Insert the module inside it and power it back on. (the time it will take to carry out this task will be the net downtime)

3] Once the active unit comes back on. Power on the standby unit.

4] Configure policy to redirect traffic to the aip module on the active unit. This policy will get replicated over to the standby as well.

5] Configure IPS modules separately on both ASA's as config on the modules wont get replicated.

Hope it helps.

Amitaaga,

That matches my understanding exactly.

Endorsed.

Thanks Marvin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: