cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet suddenly stopped working through cisco

ggill
Level 1
Level 1

A location I support internet has suddenly just stopped working out of the blue when connected to the firewall.

Setup:

Router is in bridge mode that connects to the firewall which handles everything else (providing ip/dns/internet access etc..)

It was working fine but then yesterday out of the blue, bam internet stopped working. I asked the employees to connect the ethernet from the modem directly to the computer which of course, they now had internet access. Though, when the modem is connected directly to the firewall, internet stops working. I called the ISP and surprisingly the modem was not in bridge mode anymore which, they fixed. I checked the IP settings and the firewall is assigning the ip address to the computer.

I double checked that the ethernet from the modem is connected to port 0 of the firewall (port 0 is the one that provides internet access). I even checked to make sure the lights are flashing in case the port maybe burned out or something.

I talked to the ISP again to make sure the static ips that are configured in the firewall is still the same thats configured with the ISP which, the ISP confirmed the IPs they have are the same as the one configured in the firewall.

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Unger
Level 7
Level 7

Hi There,

In order for us to help could you please provide some additional detail?

1. Make, Model, and Software Version of your firewall?
  2. From the firewall, can you ping and resolve the arp entry for the ISP default gateway (next hop)?
  3. Can your internal clients still reach the firewall internal IP address?

1. Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall

2. I can't access the firewall since im in a different location

3. The internal clients can reach the firewall internal ip addresses. All the internet clients are being assigned ip addresses from the firewall.

Hi,

You need to check if the ASA itself is able to reach to the internet.

Try pinging any IP on the outside and also check the logs on the ASA.

It seems more a connectivity issue.

Also check if the ASA is able to learn the ARP for the next hop.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

I tried using ASDM and I get a connection time out.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card