Views
Helpful
Replies

Largest SNMP packet size in Cisco ASA

senthil085
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I use Cisco ASA firewall Version 8.2(1) which has eight interfaces.

I make SNMP GETBULK operation on ifTable.ifEntry (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1) to get the table data in a single request. But I only get the columns ifIndex and few instances of ifDesc. The rest of the columns are not included in the GETBULK output. I'm able to navigate through all the columns when I use consecutive SNMP GETNEXT operation. As like others, I prefer GETBULK over GETNEXT for the number of SNMP requests generated by GETNEXT operation.

On analysis, I found that the cause is the maximum SNMP packet size set in Cisco ASA (around 480 bytes). GETBULK operation tries to return all the data in ifTable in its output, but the response packet is trimmed to the maximum packet size of 480 bytes. How do I set the largest SNMP packet size in Cisco ASA firewall?

I searched in web and found that the Cisco IOS routers supports the command "snmp-server packetsize <byte-count>". Is there an equivalent command available for Cisco ASA firewalls?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/configfun/command/reference/frd3001.html#wp1023041

The above command is not working in Cisco ASA 8.2(1).

Thank you

-Senthil-

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andhingr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASA only supports upto 484 bytes and its not configurable currently to support more.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

andhingr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASA only supports upto 484 bytes and its not configurable currently to support more.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card