cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MALWARE-CNC Win.Trojan.Pmabot outbound connection attempt Etc...

darreng
Level 1
Level 1

From time to time I receive alerts such as the above one, there are others. These typiically occurr on a Guest Wifi network I run.

In my ACP (Position 3) I have an entry allowing the DNS application from my DMZ (Guest Wifi Zone) to the Outside of my ASA. Other rules lower down match HTTP/HTTPS policies etc. The Default rule  (last position) in the ACP is a FIle Policy has IPS enabled, it is set to Allow traffic.

I have enabled the Global Blacklist config for in the ACP settings under the Security Intelligence tab & I have modified the DNS setting to include blacklisting of DNS sites that Taos record as suspect.

To block the above DNS entries, is it simply a case of removing the DNS application entry (Position 3) in the ACP and change my Default rule (last place) from Permit to Deny so that the DNS traffic is blocked to suspect sites. Or by doing this am I in danger of blocking other traffic.

Simply, I want to allow HTTP, allow HTTPS and allow DNS traffic but with the latter only to trusted destinations. Where lookups occurr that trigger the above alerts and others, I would like to drop these so the DNS is blocked.

Regards

Darren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jetsy Mathew
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

First of all make sure that you are in latest version of SRU in the device.

By any chance are you running PHPMyAdmin in the device ? Also verify what are the variables for  HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET variables? 

If you suspect this as a false positive alert, then  provide following elements to TAC in order to verify if this is a false positive or a valid alert due to an issue.

1. Packet matching the rule:

- Navigate to "Analysis" > "Intrusions" > "Events" > Change Workflow to "Table View of Events" > Select the corresponding alert(s) > Click "Download Packets"

- You should obtain a ZIP file containing a packet capture in PCAP format.

- Send this ZIP file to the TAC team and request an analysis.

Rate if the posts helps you

Regards

Jetsy 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ed Padilla Jr
Level 1
Level 1

Can you use the DNS policy (this is in FMC version 6.0.x)?  I currently using the DNS Policy for suspicious sites, and refreshes every 2 hours.

Hi Ed,

thanks is for the reply.

Yes I had the DNS policy applied. It looks to have been an issue caused by me not updating the variable set.

regards

Darren

Jetsy Mathew
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

First of all make sure that you are in latest version of SRU in the device.

By any chance are you running PHPMyAdmin in the device ? Also verify what are the variables for  HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET variables? 

If you suspect this as a false positive alert, then  provide following elements to TAC in order to verify if this is a false positive or a valid alert due to an issue.

1. Packet matching the rule:

- Navigate to "Analysis" > "Intrusions" > "Events" > Change Workflow to "Table View of Events" > Select the corresponding alert(s) > Click "Download Packets"

- You should obtain a ZIP file containing a packet capture in PCAP format.

- Send this ZIP file to the TAC team and request an analysis.

Rate if the posts helps you

Regards

Jetsy 

There are lot of traffic for  win.trojan.pmbot outbound connection. do we have any specific signature in the Cisco IPS to block the same.

Akv 

darreng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jetsy,

I had not realised that the variable set required updating. Following a change I now see entries relating to such DNS attempts seem to be blocked, thank you.

regards

Darren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card