cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modem Access to the Console of a PIX

tmoreo
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to configure the console on a PIX so I can connect a modem?

If so how?

7 Replies 7

ywadhavk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not at all recommended. Cisco advices AGAINST doing this.

But still if you need to do,

Few things you can try :

1. Use the DB9 Terminal 74-0495-01 connector that comes with pix to

access the console port.

2. use US robotics modem. Use the initialization string documented

in url below :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/50.html

3. Make sure your calling modem hardcoded to dial with 9600.

Its the same as for routers;

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/50.html

thanks,

yatin

Thank you

It is for emergency remote access and console cable will not be connected unless needed.

Has anybody actually got this to work? I have a USR modem which works perfectly well on a 3600 aux port for remote dial-in but not when plugged into a pix (515) console port with the same cable. It looks like the pix is expecting the modem to be setup up with a different initialization string. Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

I have not tested it yet and the current project is on hold so no test date in site. Let me know if you do get it though. I have tried in the past similar to you with the same working config from a router and no dice on a PIX.

Not directly an answer, but it may help nonetheless...

If you connect a console cable from the console port of the PIX to the aux port of a Cisco router, you can access the PIX via telnet.

On the router's aux line, type 'trans in all'.

Acess the router via console, telnet, etc and then telnet to any valid IP address on the router (itself) specifying the aux line number as the TCP port preceded by a 2. For example, on a 2600: telnet 192.168.1.1 2065.

OK, that was hard to explain.

You should get the PIX console. You can even watch it boot if you are not telneting through the PIX to get to the router (to get to the PIX, heh).

Search CCO for 'reverse telnet'

Thanks, but the question is how to specifically setup a modem on the pix console port and not on a router. Anyone?

Yes, I have done this. We used USR model #5686E. Set DIP switches 1, 3 and 7 in the down position, all others up. Make sure the dialing modem is forced for 9600 baud (both in Hyperterminal AND in device manager). Use standard rollover cable from PIX console to modem adapter (pn#CAB-5MODCM).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card