Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP Rule is bidirectional ?

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I confuse how to work NTP traffic. My network device need NTP from window server. the firewall is between my network device and Window server .I enable NTP server service on window.

So i would like to know If i open NTP port 123 on firewall for the traffic from my network device to window server  ?

10 Replies 10

@MrBeginner you'd create a rule from source of the network device to the destination of the ntp server on udp/123. As the firewall is stateful the return traffic should be permitted.

In most situations (which includes yours) the network device is the NTP-client and queries the NTP-server. So, yes, you open the port UDP/123 from device to the server.

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

Thanks. Let me know if i am using window as ntp server,cisco network can get time sync ? it is any limitation ? Because I worry network device didn't understand SNTP or window only SNTP protocol.

if i want to do my router device get ntp for NTP server and other network devices will get ntp from my router, what kind of additional configuration do i need to configure on my router ?

what kind of security configuration can do on my router ?  any advantage will have if i use ntp soure as loopback ?

It depends on the Cisco device if they do NTP or SNTP. And also if they only implement an NTP client or an NTP server.

Assuming that your Windows Server has a correct time, I would point all network devices to this server. The typical command is 

ntp server IPADDRESS

Hi @Karsten Iwen ,

I only want the to allow on router to access to NTP server and the rest network device want to get NTP from router. It is possible ?

what kind of configuration do i need on my router ? Peer command ?

should be fairly straight forward, by default router works in NTP client as well as server mode, it means it can get NTP info from external source as client, as well be a NTP server for other devices.

so on upstream router just configure the router with ntp server with command

ntp server <IP of NTP server>

if the server supports authentication then configure authentication as well.

on downstream devices, just point to upstream router as NTP server (same command)

show ntp association to verify, play close attention to reference clock, you will see the reference clock on downstream devices/routers will be upstream router IP and for upstream router, it will be the NTP server you configured.

example upstream

ammahend_0-1669431965225.png

downstream

ammahend_2-1669432060762.png

-hope this helps-

As already explained, it will work straight out of the box as a server if the router already got the time via NTP. The peer functionality is a different way to synchronise the time between different devices. Make also sure that the other devices can reach the router on UDP/123 and this is not blocked by any router ACL.

I do lab, 
NTP Server-inside-FW-outside-NTP client 
for FW to allow NTP traffic to pass through you need access-list in OUT direction in 
the access-list is eq ntp. 

I do lab and test it and client is sync with server inside. 

Hi @MHM Cisco World ,

do you mean the traffic (port 123) is ntp server to client ? do you mean we don't need to allow client to server traffic ( port 123 ) ?

friend there are known port you can use 
permit udp any any eq 123 
OR 
permit udp any any eq ntp 

and for may lab there are two case 

NTP Server-inside-FW-outside-NTP client <<- this my lab and since traffic from low to high security level we need ACL 

or 

NTP client-inside -FW-outside-NTP Server <<- here you dont need any thing, since traffic from high to low security level

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card