cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF over PIX w/ 6.2

rgrcommo
Level 1
Level 1

Ok 6.3 code is out of the question for this example. I am looking for any solutions for 6.2 code only. Thanks in advance!

Here is the setup:

(in)r1--->area 1 |PIX| area 1 ---->(out)r2--->s0/0--area 0

r1 is in AS 1 , r2 is in AS 2 and has area 0 off of s0/0 interface. r1 also has area 2 off of s0/0 interface. I am looking for examples on how to run OSPF from r1 to r2 with r1 being in area 2 and r2 being in area 0 without using a GRE tunnel. I could redistribute OSPF thru BGP but would this be the best/only solution..? Any suggestions would be great.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeff,

In the solution I implemented BGP was the only routing protocol passed through the firewall. Initially I tried to set the PIX up to allow traffic through thinking I could use the OSPF neighbour feature so the routers could see each other. This failed, as that feature also uses multicast traffic, which the PIX drops.

So in the end I redistributed OSPF into BGP, tunneled the routing information through the firewall and redistributed back into OSPF.

I didnt try using a virtual link, but as OSPF relies heavily on multicast traffic I'm sure such a link would fail also.

Virtual links are often described as `tunnels' but that is intended to promote understanding of the concept, they only operate within contiguous OSPF networks.

6.3 sounding attractive yet??

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

I had exactly the same application also based on pix 6.2. I ended up using BGP through the firewall, as that was the only solution that offered the route filtering as well. The customer considerd the GRE as a bit too risky for his security application, so BGP it was.

Then when 6.3 came along life got a bit easier.

Thanks for your reply! To follow up.. How were you able to apply a virtual-link to either side?

And lets say "all" options are open is there any other way that you know of to allow OSPF thru the PIX in with this setup?

thanks- Jeff

Jeff,

In the solution I implemented BGP was the only routing protocol passed through the firewall. Initially I tried to set the PIX up to allow traffic through thinking I could use the OSPF neighbour feature so the routers could see each other. This failed, as that feature also uses multicast traffic, which the PIX drops.

So in the end I redistributed OSPF into BGP, tunneled the routing information through the firewall and redistributed back into OSPF.

I didnt try using a virtual link, but as OSPF relies heavily on multicast traffic I'm sure such a link would fail also.

Virtual links are often described as `tunnels' but that is intended to promote understanding of the concept, they only operate within contiguous OSPF networks.

6.3 sounding attractive yet??

thanks for the feedback!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card