Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 501 & DHCP

duchesne_ced
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a small Pix 501 configured with a DHCP server for the inside interface. The Pix allocates an IP and store the associated MAC address.

Let's assume PcA gets the IP 172.16.1.2 with DHCP. If i remove PcA and connect the PcB with the static IP 172.16.1.2, i will have a full access. Is there a way to prevent this and dynamically only allow Ip/Mac served by the DHCP so that when PcB arrives, it will never have access.

regards

Cedric

5 Replies 5

It would be easier to answer your question if you mentioned what are you trying to achieve... Anyway, if you have DHCP server on your PIX-501 you don't even have to configure any IP for PcB -- when PcB arrives it will get the next available IP from your dhcp pool and will have full access, wouldn't it?

Take a look at "arp" command. You can set up a static IP-to-MAC address mapping for hosts on your network:

arp inside 172.16.1.2 aaaa.bbbb.cccc

where aaaa.bbbb.cccc is a MAC address of PcA

True, probably you want to put a Cisco switch between PIX inside interface ( I know 501 has 4 port switch)..and enable DHCP snooping feature. This will prevent any kind of activity on your network that you just described. Cant spoof or configure an ip statically to pretend a valid PC that acquired an ip address via DHCP lease.

Also I am not sure if PIX supports mac-address reservation at this moment..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

My structure is of course much more complicated. The Pix501 establish a tunnel with a concentrator connected back to back with a proxy. PcA gets the ip trough DHCP on the Pix then travel to proxy where he is authenticated. I want to ensure that if PcA leaves the network and PcB (considered as an intruder) plugs on the network, configures a static IP, it will NOT get trough the proxy without authentication.

If you put a switch on the PIX. you can configure port security and allow only defined mac addresses for certain ports

This is too far static and not manageable. No the easiest way would be to tell the pix: OK, i've served this IP address for this MAC. I allow only this MAC and i block all the others until i've seen a release for this IP.

Well apparently, this is not possible

Cedric

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card