cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 525 Front Panel LED's

8rpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

I have two PIX 525's in failover configuration and am experiencing something strange....about two or three times per week, I notice that the "Active" light on both PIX's will be lit. A show failover command shows that only one is active and the other is in standby mode. I was under the impression only one would show as active.

What could be causing this? I have changed out the serial failover cable as well as the ethernet cable for the failover link. The firewall syslog files (set at the error level) does not report any errors which would lead me to beleive that there is a failover issue.

Anybody else seen these symptoms or have any ideas as to what may be the problem?

Thanks!

Bob

3 Replies 3

joe_wilkins2001
Level 1
Level 1

I am unclear from your post but are you using BOTH a serial cable and an ethernet link for failover? If so try using one or the other...

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

There is no reason that both LED's should be lit. I suspect there may have just been a negotiation issue between the 2 units when they first booted up (??). I have seen this issue one other time before and reboot of the backup unit resolved the issue. While I know this is not the best answer, I was wondering if you would be willing to try it. If this still doesn't help, I would suggest opening a TAC case as this is certainly not expected (through benign and cosmetic for the most part).

Scott

Scott: I agree and came to the same conclusion as you have, and have rebooted the standby firewall each and every time this has happened (up to 3 times per week).

I will open a TAC case and see what they can come up with.

Thanks - Bob

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card