cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX activation key transfer from Active to Standby?

Can a UR license transfer from the Primary to a FO license Standby PIX?

CMH

3 Replies 3

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

A PIX licensed for FO does not need a license. It is already licensed as UR. If you mean you want to make a FO unit a full-blown unit, there is no way to move your "active" license to it. You can try sweet-talking Cisco, but since they have no way of removing the licence from your old one, I doubt they would since the price difference is so large.

The following link confirms that FO units have UR license already:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094ea7.shtml#faq

-Eric

If i remember correct the FO licencse Pix just reboots or resets it's interfaces randomly so you don't get the idea of using it in a productive enviroment as the primary pix.

The main concern was that the Standby unit running with a new configuration would be overwritten when the Primary unit came back online. I thought maybe the key from the UR unit could be transfer to the FO unit, but this is not possible. Somehow I think the license is tied into the Serial number of the unit. So you are correct that a new license would be required from Cisco.

thanks for the response email.

Carlos

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card