cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX PDM 3.0 browser problems

ciscoeuser
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 501 version 6.3(5) with PDM 3.0(4).  I am upgrading to an ASA 5505, but I want to use the PIX for other use.  I can access with Telnet and the console cable, but I don't really understand the commands.  PDM is the way to go for me.

I have read all the discussions with the search filter "PIX Firefox *" and some others here and on the internet in general.  I am familiar with the Java constraints and I have read about certain browser constraints.

I am using Windows XP Mode as a virtual machine on Windows 7 Ultimate.  I recreated a new machine yesterday (3 hours work installing updates).  I was forced to accept an upgrade to IE8 in order to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

I sign in with https://192.168.1.1

QUESTION 1

I started with Java v1.4.1_07, and I got the PDM to load using IE8.  Today (after a couple more MS updates), I got the message "The page cannot be displayed".  I have tried various Internet Options settings without success.  I downgraded to IE6 by removing IE8, and I get the same message.  I reinstalled Java in case this was a problem (and also upgraded to Java 6.07).  Does anyone know what settings I need to change to make it work?

QUESTION 2

I tried with Firefox, starting with v3.6, but Java v1.4.1_07 does not have an extension for it.  So I removed Firefox and Java, and tried again with Firefox 5.01 and Java 6.07 (which I have used before successfully with Firefox and I know was one of the later working versions with PDM 3.0(4)).  I am now asked to enter username and password, and then I get the error message:

"ERROR: Java is not enabled in your browser.  PDM requires Java.  You can enable Java by selecting the Edit>Preferences menu.  Click Advanced and then click Enable Java."

Java is enabled.  I played around with SSL 2 and SSL 3 (there was another discussion about this).

Does anyone know what I should do to get PDM working with Firefox (preferred to IE)?

Your help would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

julomban
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

There is a lot of limitations for PDM now. Below you can find the table with the requirements:

To be honest PDM its very old and on this days there is a lot of conflicts with Java, browsers and latest updates.

Regards,

Juan Lombana

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

julomban
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

There is a lot of limitations for PDM now. Below you can find the table with the requirements:

To be honest PDM its very old and on this days there is a lot of conflicts with Java, browsers and latest updates.

Regards,

Juan Lombana

Please rate helpful posts.

ciscoeuser
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, Juan.  Your reply reminds me that it worth posting on a reliably support forum.

I did not have time to work on it until now, and I was not looking forward to setting up another virtual XP machine - though this was always an option.

I managed to find Netscape 7.2 and Java 1.4.1_7 which worked!  I do appreciate that I am trying to keep an old (though still useful) PIX alive.

I think that there might be some higher Java and IE options around as well, but I have achieved what I wanted so I don't need to know.

Best regards,

CiscoEUser

Netscape 7.1 and Java 1.4.1_7 also worked for me. Thank you so much for posting!

Yeah! It works with Netscape 7.1

but i have Java v 1.4.2

Still works. (Y)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card