cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX PDM 3.0 browser problems

ciscoeuser
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 501 version 6.3(5) with PDM 3.0(4).  I am upgrading to an ASA 5505, but I want to use the PIX for other use.  I can access with Telnet and the console cable, but I don't really understand the commands.  PDM is the way to go for me.

I have read all the discussions with the search filter "PIX Firefox *" and some others here and on the internet in general.  I am familiar with the Java constraints and I have read about certain browser constraints.

I am using Windows XP Mode as a virtual machine on Windows 7 Ultimate.  I recreated a new machine yesterday (3 hours work installing updates).  I was forced to accept an upgrade to IE8 in order to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

I sign in with https://192.168.1.1

QUESTION 1

I started with Java v1.4.1_07, and I got the PDM to load using IE8.  Today (after a couple more MS updates), I got the message "The page cannot be displayed".  I have tried various Internet Options settings without success.  I downgraded to IE6 by removing IE8, and I get the same message.  I reinstalled Java in case this was a problem (and also upgraded to Java 6.07).  Does anyone know what settings I need to change to make it work?

QUESTION 2

I tried with Firefox, starting with v3.6, but Java v1.4.1_07 does not have an extension for it.  So I removed Firefox and Java, and tried again with Firefox 5.01 and Java 6.07 (which I have used before successfully with Firefox and I know was one of the later working versions with PDM 3.0(4)).  I am now asked to enter username and password, and then I get the error message:

"ERROR: Java is not enabled in your browser.  PDM requires Java.  You can enable Java by selecting the Edit>Preferences menu.  Click Advanced and then click Enable Java."

Java is enabled.  I played around with SSL 2 and SSL 3 (there was another discussion about this).

Does anyone know what I should do to get PDM working with Firefox (preferred to IE)?

Your help would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

julomban
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

There is a lot of limitations for PDM now. Below you can find the table with the requirements:

To be honest PDM its very old and on this days there is a lot of conflicts with Java, browsers and latest updates.

Regards,

Juan Lombana

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

julomban
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

There is a lot of limitations for PDM now. Below you can find the table with the requirements:

To be honest PDM its very old and on this days there is a lot of conflicts with Java, browsers and latest updates.

Regards,

Juan Lombana

Please rate helpful posts.

ciscoeuser
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, Juan.  Your reply reminds me that it worth posting on a reliably support forum.

I did not have time to work on it until now, and I was not looking forward to setting up another virtual XP machine - though this was always an option.

I managed to find Netscape 7.2 and Java 1.4.1_7 which worked!  I do appreciate that I am trying to keep an old (though still useful) PIX alive.

I think that there might be some higher Java and IE options around as well, but I have achieved what I wanted so I don't need to know.

Best regards,

CiscoEUser

Netscape 7.1 and Java 1.4.1_7 also worked for me. Thank you so much for posting!

Yeah! It works with Netscape 7.1

but i have Java v 1.4.2

Still works. (Y)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card