cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Python script to DELETE objects from FMC using a CSV file

Maneck_UK
Level 1
Level 1

I have a fully working python script that can POST objects to the FMC API using a .csv file for the data.

FMC is 6.5.

I want to use this same approach/method to DELETE objects, but after many hours I have been unable to get the script to work.

Due to the errors I receive, I have to assume that there is something wrong in how my python script builds the URL, as the URL I intend to use, works when tested from POSTMAN.

I have looked extensively for sample deletion scripts, but the ones I can find all approach the deletion by deleting "all unused". As I am building a 10K object environment and I do not yet have any ACP, all my objects are currently unused.

Can anyone point out what the issue is please?

Error Messages

I get:

Status code: 400
Message: {"error":{"category":"FRAMEWORK","messages":[{"description":"Wrong URL for delete request."}],"severity":"ERROR"}}

This is why I believe the issue is an incorrect URL.

The object ID can be seen in my log entry as correct and picked up from the csv file:

Deleting object: 005056A6-6972-0ed3-0000-090194314100

The "Deleting object:" words come from my script

The object ID has been taken from the .csv file

(The objects in the .csv are compiled from a separate script operation and the .csv file is confirmed as correct (it has exactly the same format as the script used to POST objects and has been checked for erroneous spaces etc)).

This is the URL I am trying to form:

https://<FMCNAME>/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/e276abec-e0f2-11e3-8169-6d9ed49b625f/object/hosts/005056A6-6972-0ed3-0000-090194314010

This URL works perfectly from POSTMAN and the host get deleted.

Working Script

This is how the working POST objects from csv script builds the URL:

api_path = "/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/" + auth_domain + "/object/hosts"
url = server + api_path
if (url[-1] == '/'):
    url = url[:-1]

for object in objects:
    post_data = {
        "name": object["name"],
        "type": object["type"],
        "value": object["value"],
        "description": object["description"],
    }
print('\n*********************************')
    print('Creating object: ' + object["name"])

try:
        r = requests.post(url, data=json.dumps(post_data), headers=headers, verify=False)
        status_code = r.status_code
        resp = r.text
        log = open('post_objects.log', 'a')
        print(" Status code: "+str(status_code))
        json_resp = json.loads(resp)
        log.write('\n----------------------------------------------------\n')
        log.write(json.dumps(json_resp,sort_keys=True,indent=4, separators=(',', ': ')))

The csv is formatted as:

name,value,type,description
test-name1,10.1.1.1,host,host1
test-name2,10.1.1.2,host,host2

The only difference I can see in the URL between the POST and DELETE operations is a single "/" at the end of the path.

API explorer paths:

Object POST path

POST/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/{domainUUID}/object/hosts

Object DELETE path

DELETE/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/{domainUUID}/object/hosts/{objectId}

Failing Script

This is how the DELETE objects from csv script builds the URL:

api_path = "/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/" + auth_domain + "/object/hosts/"
url = server + api_path
if (url[-1] == '/'):
    url = url[:-1]

for object in objects:
    del_data = {
        "objectid": object["objectid"]
    }
print('\n***********************************')
    print('Deleting object: ' + object["objectid"])

try:
        r = requests.delete(url, data=json.dumps(del_data), headers=headers, verify=False)
        resp = r.text
        log = open('delete_objects.log', 'a')
        print(" Status code: "+str(status_code))
        log.write('\n----------------------------------------------------\n')
        log.write(json.dumps(json_resp,sort_keys=True,indent=4, separators=(',', ': ')))

The csv is formatted as:

name,value,objectid
test-name1,10.1.1.1,005056A6-6972-0ed3-0000-090194314010
test-name2,10.1.1.2,005056A6-6972-0ed3-0000-090194313992

The failing script collects the name, user id and password and then runs through the entire csv file. Each deletion attempt collects the correct item from the csv and then fails with the same URL error message. The script then completes as expected.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@JonasKs Many thanks for helping me with the solution. I doubt I would have finished with your help.

Hotfix from Cisco Devnet provided the how to for my script.

I got it working with his helpers which disappointingly vanished as they provided excellent scripting info.

Hotfix then added additional polish to my script which actually worked without the suggested changes.

Please find the both my final script and the polished one from hotfix.

404 error in Python script to DELETE objects from FMC using a CSV file 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You’re putting the objectid in the body but it should normally be in the url itself:

curl -X DELETE "https://fmc-fqdn/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/11111-1111-1111-1111-abcdef/object/hosts/005056A6-6972-0ed3-0000-090194314010" -H "accept: application/json" -H "X-auth-access-token: aaaaaa-aaaaaaa-aaaaa"

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

@Francesco Molino Thank you!

That makes sense.

I will look to see how to add the csv object routine to the url component of the script.

If anyone has any pointers they would be very much appreciated.

I've spent a lot more time trying to get this to work and continue to fail.

I can get a single object to delete if I add the url object ID data to the script for a single object.

like this: del_data = ['005056A6-6972-0ed3-0000-090194313992']

But this defeats the purpose of the script.

I believe I now have a correct url built from the csv file but I continue to get 404 incorrect url errors:

I'd very much appreciate any pointers as to where I'm going wrong with my python script, as you may be able to tell I'm new to this python scripting business.

Error message when using new CSV script

Error in connection --> 404 Client Error: Not Found for url: https://<FMC-NAME>/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/e276abec-e0f2-11e3-8169-6d9ed49b625f/object/hosts/005056A6-6972-0ed3-0000-090194314504

URL build script component

f = open("delid.csv")
objectsfile = csv.DictReader(f)

for object in objectsfile:
    del_data = {
        object["objectid"]
    }

for object in del_data:
        del_url = server + api_path + object

try:
    r = requests.delete(del_url, headers=headers, verify=False)
    resp = r.text
    log = open('delete_objects.log', 'a')
    print(" Status Code: "+str(status_code))

if status_code == 201 or status_code == 202:
        print(" SUCCESS ")
    elif status_code == 400:
        print((" Message: ")+ resp + ('\n'))
    else:
        r.raise_for_status()
        print((" Message: ")+ resp + ('\n'))

except requests.exceptions.HTTPError as err:
    print("Connection Error --> "+str(err))
finally:
    if r: r.close()

Here a quick and dirty python code that runs well.

Sometimes objects aren't deleted because attached to a policy or whatever, so have you checked the response of your response.text?

objectsdel = ['005056AD-AB1C-0ed3-0000-008589972365', '005056AD-AB1C-0ed3-0000-004294967567', '005056AD-AB1C-0ed3-0000-008589972347', '005056AD-AB1C-0ed3-0000-004294967636']

url1 = "https://10.10.10.10/api/fmc_config/v1/domain/e276abec-e0f2-11e3-8169-6d9ed49b625f/object/hosts/" headers2 = { 'Accept': 'application/json', 'Content-Type': 'application/json', } headers2['X-auth-access-token'] = response.headers['X-auth-access-token'] headers2['X-auth-refresh-token'] = response.headers['X-auth-refresh-token'] for i in objectsdel: del_url = url1 + i r = requests.request("DELETE", del_url, headers=headers2, verify=False) status_code = r.status_code resp = r.text print(f" Status Code: {status_code}") print(f" text: {resp}") json_resp = json.loads(resp)

What version of FMC are you running?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

@JonasKs Many thanks for helping me with the solution. I doubt I would have finished with your help.

Hotfix from Cisco Devnet provided the how to for my script.

I got it working with his helpers which disappointingly vanished as they provided excellent scripting info.

Hotfix then added additional polish to my script which actually worked without the suggested changes.

Please find the both my final script and the polished one from hotfix.

404 error in Python script to DELETE objects from FMC using a CSV file 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card