Views
Helpful
Replies

Route lookup for AnyConnect traffic

zexinfinite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are using AnyConnect on Cisco ASA, but we use the gateway on core switch instead of ASA.

I'm curious to know does ASA perform RPF check even it's not the next hop for the traffic?

Because I've confirmed the traffic is pass on packet tracer, and VPN client already have secure route to gateway.

But I can not access destination before I add static route on Cisco ASA.

Does ASA perform RPF check even it's not the next hop for the traffic?

SSLVPN Client >>> Cisco ASA >>> Core switch (VPN gateway, same subnet as ASA inside interface) >>>Destination

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The ASA will perform RPF for all traffic passing through the interfaces specified. If the ASA does not have a route to the source that matches the interface, RPF will fail. In your case, i am guessing  you are using tunneled gateway for your vpn traffic but the return traffic from the destination has no reverse route in the ASA

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It has nothing to do with RPF check in here. Once the packet gets decrypted by the ASA, it will have a source IP of something from the VPN POOL and a destination IP of whatever private resource the user wants to access and has access to. For the data plane to work:

- the ASA needs a route for all internal prefixes towards the core switch

- the core switch needs a route for the VPN pool range towards the ASA

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card