cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

show clear text pre shared key asa 5500.....

pjohnson5480
Level 1
Level 1

I have read several of the posts on how to show your pre shared keys in clear text.  I am in the process of converting a 5520 over to a 5525-x and I got to the point where I need the pre-shared keys

the    more system:running-config     command does NOT show the clear text of the keys nor does access the file via https:// either.

the 5520 is running Software Version 8.4(2)18

any thoughts how I can wrestle this info out of the asa as I'm not getting anywhere with what seems to have worked for a few others.

Thank in advance

Sincerely

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. What does the "more system:running-config" show you?
  2. You can use "write network" to copy the config to an tftp-server.
  3. You can use the Backup-feature from ASDM

or

1. You enabled the "password encryption aes" feature. Then the passwords are always encrypted in the config. But with the knowledge of the master-password you can transfer the encrypted ones to the new ASA. And the ASDM backup/restore should also work.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

1. What does the "more system:running-config" show you?
  2. You can use "write network" to copy the config to an tftp-server.
  3. You can use the Backup-feature from ASDM

or

1. You enabled the "password encryption aes" feature. Then the passwords are always encrypted in the config. But with the knowledge of the master-password you can transfer the encrypted ones to the new ASA. And the ASDM backup/restore should also work.

The command  more system:run  should show you those keys.

Couple things that I have seen

I have seen it where someone configured pre-shared key by cutting and pasting the key as it is shown when you do a show run, so it was entered as ****. You can check this buy entering a dummy config with a key and then run the more system:run and see if it shows up.

also check the privilege level of your login and make sure it is 15.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card