Views
Helpful
Replies

spontaneous ASA 5505 reboot ?

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Is there any command that will show me what the last reboot reason was?

We are trying to figure out why an ASA rebooted yesterday when everyone was locked out of the building and power was not lost.

This 5505 is running 8.2(4) and has four site to site tunnels and only 256 RAM. I've seen the utilization as high as 170MB. We've advised an upgrade but they have not yet moved on that recommendation.

How can I tell if this ASA is rebooting because of low memory and/or other issues?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The most common reason why it has rebooted is the ASA has crashed, and when it crashes, it will automatically reboot.

You can check the up time of the ASA by issueing: show version, and it will give you an indication on how long the ASA has been up for prior to the last reboot.

To check if it has crashed and provided you with the crash dump: show crashinfo

The output should be collected and pls open a TAC case so the TAC engineer can decode that for you and advise possible matching bug or raise a new bug if it's a new occurance.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Indeed

What about logs, do they happen to have any logs setup?

Sometimes earthquake, construction, etc movement might cause a reload if the power is not plugged in firmly on this 5505 (just a thought of what i've seen before )

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The most common reason why it has rebooted is the ASA has crashed, and when it crashes, it will automatically reboot.

You can check the up time of the ASA by issueing: show version, and it will give you an indication on how long the ASA has been up for prior to the last reboot.

To check if it has crashed and provided you with the crash dump: show crashinfo

The output should be collected and pls open a TAC case so the TAC engineer can decode that for you and advise possible matching bug or raise a new bug if it's a new occurance.

Hope that helps.

the uptime and crash info were the first things I checked. It didn't have any crashinfo

the IT Director swears power was not lost in the building and no one was in the building including janitors.

it's a mystery

Indeed

What about logs, do they happen to have any logs setup?

Sometimes earthquake, construction, etc movement might cause a reload if the power is not plugged in firmly on this 5505 (just a thought of what i've seen before )

we wanted to setup syslog servers for them, but it wasn't in the scope of this last project. Might the logs shown the reason?

maybe the mystery reboot(s) will spur them on to action...

Mar 21 18:21:43 CDT: %ASA-session-1-xxxxxxx: A mouse just chewed on my power cord !!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card