Views
Helpful
Replies

The host may be under remote control

enidvallja
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've had this problem even before where FireSIGHT was indicating this message from a host. I did a full scan to the host with its anti-virus but nothing was captured.

CnC Connected Intrusion Event - malware-cnc

Now I'm seeing this message again from 3 hosts, and one of the hosts is the public DNS (from ISP). I don't know what to do because the option "Scan Host" is not available in my FireSIGHT.

Thank you.

Enid.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You need to configure an instance of nmap scanner under Policy>Actions>Scanners before you can use "scan" button under host view.

Configuration example:

nmap01.jpgnmap02.jpgnmap03.jpgnmap04.jpg

br, Micke

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You need to configure an instance of nmap scanner under Policy>Actions>Scanners before you can use "scan" button under host view.

Configuration example:

nmap01.jpgnmap02.jpgnmap03.jpgnmap04.jpg

br, Micke

Hello Micke,

Thank you so much, I found the results of the scanning and I see only the host's ports if they are filtered or opened but not anything about any possible intrusion.

Enid.

Hi again,

If you get security event CnC Connected (and Actions is blocked) it doesn't need to be a real threat.
Your client might have just got flagged cause they are surfing on the internet.
I see this alert a lot and most of the times it's just the responding ip/dns that is blacklisted by Talos.
Just do your regular security check on the client:
- check if there is other alerts from same client (host profil).
- check what type of traffic it is, source ports, destination ports, drill-down.
- scan with nmap to see any unnecessary open ports on the client.
- scan the client for virus, malware.
- lookup destination ip whois, talos intelligence.
- if you don't find anything, make a note, clear the client and see if it appears again.

br, Micke
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card