Views
Helpful
Replies

UPGRADE Firesight 6.0.1.3 to 6.2.3 based on vmware upgrade from 5.1 to 6.5

chawkideeb
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support.

I have firesight management server version 6.0.1.3 installed on ESXi 5.1.

we want to upgrade our ESXi to version 6.5.

As you know (as per the following link : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/compatibility/firepower-compatibility.html), firesight 6.0.1.3 is not supported by ESXi 6.5 and vice versa (firesight 6.2.3 is not supported on ESXi 5.1).

I am thinking about 3 options :

option 1 : upgrade ESXi to version 5.5 , upgrade the firesight to 6.2.3 then upgrade ESXi to version 6.5.

option 2 : backup the configuration from the GUI interface of the current firesight version 6.0.1.3 , then upgrade the ESXi to version 6.5 , then deploy a new firesight vm version 6.2.3 on that ESXi and restore the backup that i have.But my concern is that the backup file of 6.0.1.3 will work properly on firesight 6.2.3 without any issue?

option 3 : deploy and configure new firesight 6.2.3 on ESXi 6.5 from scratch - but this is that we dont want it.

Kindly , your support or suggestion on which option should we proceed further or maybe there will be other option more suitable for us.

waiting your feedback ,

Thank you.

Best Regards, 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yogdhanu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

I would go with option no. 1 keeping the option 3 as last resort.

Option 2 is not feasible as you cannot restore backup from 6.1.x to 6.2.x

The version has to be exactly same to restore the backup.

From user guide for backup "You can restore a backup onto a replacement appliance only if the two appliances are the same model and are running the same version of the Firepower System software."

Hope it helps,

Yogesh

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

yogdhanu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

I would go with option no. 1 keeping the option 3 as last resort.

Option 2 is not feasible as you cannot restore backup from 6.1.x to 6.2.x

The version has to be exactly same to restore the backup.

From user guide for backup "You can restore a backup onto a replacement appliance only if the two appliances are the same model and are running the same version of the Firepower System software."

Hope it helps,

Yogesh

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response,

Indeed...

This is what i was thinking about it.

best Regards,

ilukeberry
Level 1
Level 1

Upgraded from 6.2.2.2 to 6.2.3 and I hit bug when FireSIGHT cannot connect via 636 SSL to domain controllers in order to download users and groups. This worked fine with 6.2.2.2.

Dear  ilukeberry,

You are right, but from my side i dont have another choice since the client should upgrade to ESXi 6.5 , and firesight 6.2.3 is the only version that is supported by Vmware ESXi 6.5. :(

Thank you,

"officially" supported. I ran 6.2.2.2 on ESXi 6.5 just fine.

Dear ,

As per cisco web site , 6.2.2.2 is not supported :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/compatibility/firepower-compatibility.html.

Can you send me the link where it is stating that officially is supported?

thank you.

It's not officially supported but it works. I ran it without a problem.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card