cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Virtual DC from 5.3.1.5 to 5.4.x?

hoffa2000
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I'm trying to move from the 5.3.x track to 5.4.x using Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_Upgrade-5.4.0-763.sh in my DC GUI through the Updates feature. However when I attempt to run the upgrade I get a message the file is intended for installations below 5.4.0.

Is this feature supposed to work? I have a stand alone Virtual 5.4.X installation running but it won't accept the configuration backups or exports due to version mismatch and I would rather not have to redo all my settings on a fresh installation.

Regards

Fredrik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, You can do an upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 and the configuration will remain in your devices, but if you perform a re-image or a fresh install you have to configure it manually.

Regards,

Andres Vega

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Andres Vega
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fredrik

For backups restore is mandatory to do it within the same version you took the backup.

• Backups are valid only for the product version on which you create them.

• Backups do not include captured file data.

• You cannot create or restore backup files for virtual managed devices, Cisco NGIPS for Blue Coat X-Series, or Cisco ASA with FirePOWER Services. To back up all event data, perform a backup of the managing Defense Center.

• You can restore a backup onto a replacement appliance only if the two appliances are the same model and are running the same version of the FireSIGHT System software.

for further reference you can reach the below link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firesight/541/user-guide/FireSIGHT-System-UserGuide-v5401/Backup-Restore.html

Regards 

Andres

I thought so. That leaves the question if I'm able to upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 of if I'm required to do a fresh reinstall and manually redo all settings?

Yes, You can do an upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 and the configuration will remain in your devices, but if you perform a re-image or a fresh install you have to configure it manually.

Regards,

Andres Vega

That's hopeful. Could you also give some pointers as to which file I should upload to the DC to pefrom the upgrade? The one I mentioned in my initial post isn't the right one though the name would suggest it.

/Fredrik

The one you mentioned in your original post should be correct. I've used it to upgrade several 5.3 installations.

Can you tell us exactly which 5.3 version you are coming from? You need to be on at least 5.3.1 to use that upgrade file. Reference.

Hi all

I can answer myself this time. It seems the file I initially attempted is aimed for 32bit or perhaps an appliance. The file I finally got to work was Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Upgrade-5.4.0-763.sh

/Fredrik

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card