Replies

Weird Behavior of PIX 515E:Need help

Nitin_Dewan07
Level 1
Level 1

I m working on PIX 515E these days in my college.It has 2 interfaces :

Eth 0:outside

Eth1:inside

Now when i connect my laptop to either of the interfaces one by one they are able to show the link activity (only when i connect the interfaces indiviually to my laptop) but now if i connect both of the interfaces together (one to my laptop and other one to some desktop) it says outside interface is not connected as the network cable unplugged icon is displayed on the screen.

Initially thought its because of default policies of pix firewall but despite configuring myself,i am not able to send any traffic to outside interface from outside network.

For this i configured:

1) Static translation from outside ip to inside ip.

2) Access-list allowing icmp traffic from outside to inside.

3) Nat and global commands for reverse natting for the traffic entering PIX firewall.

Still no traffic is observed on outside interface since the port is down because of some reason.

This is totally weird behaviour of PIX ,moreover PDM also does'nt show up only a window comes up saying PIX device manager is loading and it keeps on loading when i access it through an internal machine on inside port.

Help me out.Thanks in advance.

Nitin

1 Reply 1

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi .. is the desktop connected to the interface showing up as "disconnected " ..? what happens if you connect the desktop to the other interface ..? you might be having a speed mismtach there !!! make sure the PIX and the desktop are configured with the same speed and duplex sometimes auto might not negotiate correctly.

I hope it helps ... please rate it if it does !!! Also be aware that if you connect the desktop directly to the interface ( without a hub) then you might need to use a cross over cable. Some NICs have the capability to do an internal cross over connection but some NICs can't and hence you need a cross over cable.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card