Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
greghami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you ever wondered why pluggable optics exist? Have you ever wondered what acronyms like QSFP, LR4, FEC, and PAM4 actually mean? In this episode I continue my conversation with my colleague Ray Nering. He explains to me how a lot of these came to be, starting from the days of 1Gb GBIC all the way up to today's 400Gb QSFP-DD. This is the second part of a four-episode conversation with Ray. In this episode we get into 10Gb pluggables and the drivers of next generation technology.
- Pat Chou (@patchou), Cisco Optics Product Manager

Listen now

Ray Nering is a colleague of mine in the Cisco Optics product management group and over the years has held senior management positions at other companies in the optics space, such as AT&T Microelectronics, Lucent, JDSU, Agere, Optium, and Lightwire.

Additional resources
Cisco Optics blogs: blogs.cisco.com/tag/ciscoopticsblog (subscribe at feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverif…iscoOpticsBlog )
Cisco Optics YouTube playlist: cs.co/9008BlQen
Cisco Optics landing page: cisco.com/go/optics

Timestamps
02:05 Early 10G pluggables
09:17 When 10G SFP+ emerged
11:25 40G QSFP+ leverages 10G SERDES
14:50 Data center as industry driver
20:50 Next generation technology drivers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: