cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup and restore procedure for ND + NDFC

svenus
Level 1
Level 1

Asking for a detailed guide on how to set up a new ND + NDFC cluster, to restore a built cluster on purpose. 

Issues that I have:

The customer is building a greenfield EVPN fabric, with new UCS and new storage. However, the new VMware infrastructure relies on the new N9K EVPN fabric - this is going to be a chicken-and-egg problem:

- The greenfield fabric won't be ready until ND/NDFC is deployed

- The ND/NDFC cluster won't be able to be built without deploying the compute and storage

- But the compute and storage rely on the new fabric

Now one of the way to resolve that is I'm going to build the ND/NDFC cluster in their existing VMware, then have the OOB cross connect to the new fabric and start to build the new fabric there. Then once everything is ready, I migrate the NDFC cluster over to the new VMware environment.

Question is, is there a an official guide on how to properly do a backup and restore of the ND/NDFC cluster? 

Do I first deploy the cluster again with the same IP addresses and then once I have got connectivity then do the restore?  This will need to turn off the existing cluster since the IP addresses will be reused. 

Any guidance and insight, please? 

1 Reply 1

ADP89
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Svenus,

As a best practice you should not provide ND/NDFC access from the fabrics controlled by the application.

Having said this, if you do not have any other options on where to run those VMs then yes, a backup/restore will work.

No need to maintain the IPs, worst case scenario NDFC will push a new SNMP trap host configuration to all the switches..

Here you can find the guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/dcn/ndfc/1213/articles/ndfc-backup-restore-lan/backing-up-and-restoring-lan-operational-mode-setups.pdf

HTH,

ADP