Views
Helpful
Replies

bringing up admin shut interfaces on cisco-nx devices

kerim mohammed
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am having hard time bringing up admin down interfaces on cisco-nx devices. I captured output of "commit | debug template" and also shared the config on the template:

portion of config on template is:

<!-- ...SPINE CONFIG... -->
<device>
<name>{$spinename}</name>
<config>
<interface xmlns="http://tail-f.com/ned/cisco-nx">
<Ethernet>
<name>{$spine_interf}</name>
<shutdown tags="delete"/>
<enable>
<switchport>false</switchport>
</enable>

portion of output of "commit | debug template ....."

Operation 'merge' on existing node: /devices/device[name='SPINE01']/config/nx:interface/Ethernet[name='1/3'] (from file "sl-ebgp-template.xml", line 96)
Operation 'delete' on node: /devices/device[name='SPINE01']/config/nx:interface/Ethernet[name='1/3']/shutdown (from file "sl-ebgp-template.xml", line 97)

already admin up interfaces are not affected by this. But, I was hoping admin down interfaces will be brought up by this config. But interface Eth1/3 on SPINE01 is still admin down:

SPINE01# show interface status | egrep disabled
Eth1/1 -- disabled 1 full auto 10g
Eth1/2 -- disabled 1 full auto 10g
Eth1/3 -- disabled routed full auto 10g

what am i doing wrong? 

thankss,

Kerim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In principle this should work, but there are caveats when it comes to services using delete. If several services are applying this template to the same interface, the service instance applied first (when shutdown was still present) will restore the shutdown leaf when deleted, ruining the operation for other services on the same interface. There are ways around this, see the NSO Developer Guide section Service Caveats for details.

To figure out what's going wrong here, maybe you could capture a trace of the device communications? devices device ... trace pretty; commit; disconnect; rerun your test case.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In principle this should work, but there are caveats when it comes to services using delete. If several services are applying this template to the same interface, the service instance applied first (when shutdown was still present) will restore the shutdown leaf when deleted, ruining the operation for other services on the same interface. There are ways around this, see the NSO Developer Guide section Service Caveats for details.

To figure out what's going wrong here, maybe you could capture a trace of the device communications? devices device ... trace pretty; commit; disconnect; rerun your test case.