cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can netsim devices be made pingable to each other.

mohd_jahangir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts

I want to test certain NCS/NSO services over my netsim created devices. Can two netsim devices be made pingable to each other?

Thanks

Jahangir

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Short answer is no, since the netsim devices don't really have a data plane. You need a "real" device, or a virtualised version of one. I'd recommend using vrnetlab (GitHub - plajjan/vrnetlab: Run virtual routers with docker) which makes it very easy to start up and work with virtual routers for development or CI purposes.

Note: I am the author of vrnetlab so I'm fairly biased on its usefulness

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

alam.bilal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NETSIM devices are very poor man's version of simulated devices. They do not have any control-plane or data-plane, i.e. do not run any protocols or process packets.

NETSIM device just uses the corresponding YANG device-model and accepts those exact configs on its north-bound interface.

People have used VIRL environments to simulate a more realistic network layer. Other option would be to get access to VNFs (CSR1kv, vASA, etc) and use them instead.

Short answer is no, since the netsim devices don't really have a data plane. You need a "real" device, or a virtualised version of one. I'd recommend using vrnetlab (GitHub - plajjan/vrnetlab: Run virtual routers with docker) which makes it very easy to start up and work with virtual routers for development or CI purposes.

Note: I am the author of vrnetlab so I'm fairly biased on its usefulness

Will try vrnetlab device. Thanks