Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect a Netconf device to NSO behind a Cisco CLI router

PatrickPec78
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I'm pretty new to NSO, and I want to know if it is possible to configure a netconf router with NSO but this router is behind a router which is directly connected to NSO. Or does NSO require a direct connection ?

Example :

---------            -----------

NSO --> |CLI router| ---> |Netconf router|

---------           -----------
192.168.1.10    192.168.1.1/24                     192.168.10.10/24

The Netconf router is an IR1101.

If it is possible, can you explain to me briefly how to do it, because I didn't find anything on google about this ?

Thanks by advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rogaglia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I believe that what you want is to use the router in the middle as a "SSH proxy" to access the final destination. The idea of proxy is available for CLI NEDs but I do not believe for generic NETCONF devices (although it could be a good features to request).

One alternative is to use SSH tunnels and setup your NETCONF session via this tunnel. One example of SSH guide: https://www.ssh.com/ssh/tunneling/example

Roque

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rogaglia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I believe that what you want is to use the router in the middle as a "SSH proxy" to access the final destination. The idea of proxy is available for CLI NEDs but I do not believe for generic NETCONF devices (although it could be a good features to request).

One alternative is to use SSH tunnels and setup your NETCONF session via this tunnel. One example of SSH guide: https://www.ssh.com/ssh/tunneling/example

Roque

Hi Roque,

Thank you for your answer, I will try this !
A final question : is it possible to configure both devices at the same time (the CLI router and the Netconf router) following the architecture I gave ?

Hi,

Yes, it is possible but using two device names (same IP different NED-IDs).

admin@ncs# show devices list
NAME ADDRESS DESCRIPTION NED ID ADMIN STATE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
xr-cli 10.58.244.21 - cisco-iosxr-cli-7.19 unlocked
xr-netconf 10.58.244.21 - cisco-ncs55a1-01-nc-1.0 unlocked
admin@ncs#

This also means that your devices will generally be out-of-sync, but you should know how to manage that (partial-sync-from, no-overwrite or everything in the toolbox).