cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hello, How can I pre configure a device that has not been created yet

Patrick Warichet
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am trying to provision an IOS-XR device, A ZTP script on the dev ice is executed that call REST API to create the device on the NSO server. This works well but I would like to perform a sync-to at the end of the process to complete the provisioning sequence. Since the device does not exist yet how can I do this function ? I like to do it both using CLI (with the IOS-XR package) or netconf (with the yang models already installed)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Patrick,

Yes you can do that. You can create a device and apply configuration to a device that doesn't exist outside of NSO. So you already know how to create a device in NSO. The next step is you can apply a template or configuration to a device in NSO. You might need to set operational data for the device so that you can apply configuration to it.

-Dan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dan.Sullivan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are asking. Can you explain what you are trying to do?

-Dan

Hello Daniel,

I create a set of scripts called at initial bootup time that register the device to the NSO server using REST API. the last step of the automatic provisioning of the system would be to make a REST call from the device to get its final configuration. I can issue a sync-to REST call but that requires the device to have an existing configuration on the NSO server.

My question is there a way to pre-configure a device on NSO that has not been created yet ? so as soon as the device is created it can fetch that configuration

Hi Patrick,

Yes you can do that. You can create a device and apply configuration to a device that doesn't exist outside of NSO. So you already know how to create a device in NSO. The next step is you can apply a template or configuration to a device in NSO. You might need to set operational data for the device so that you can apply configuration to it.

-Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: