Views
Helpful
Replies

Hiding data from output when we run commands on a device

abhkaul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team, 

Is there a way to hide/mask sensitive data that we might get after running some commands on the device via NSO? 

For example, if we run show running-config on a device via NSO and we want to mask the passwords. I think there is a way to do that on the device level using the encryption service or the enable secret command, but I wanted to check if there is a way to achieve that using NSO. 

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Nabsch
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

Yes there is a way  to hide from CLI using some annotation in the yang file but you still can get the data using Java/Python.

Yes, look into the tailf:hidden annotation.

Nabsch
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can do something like this

leaf regex {
          tailf:hidden all;
          type string;
        }

You can find more detail here. 

tailf:hidden tag

This statement can be used to hide a node from some, or all, northbound interfaces. All nodes with the
same value are considered a hide group and are treated the same with regards to being visible or not in a
northbound interface.

The hidden statement can be used in: leaf, leaf-list, list, container, tailf:action, refine, rpc, and action.

hniska
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure if it is me that misunderstand your question or if its the other guys that answered :).

My take is that you dont want users in NSO to be able to see certain values in data showing up in the devices/device tree? 

If that is the case you dont really get any help from tailf:hidden as you dont want to change the NED:s YANG files. The way you want to do it is prohibiting read to certain parts if the tree with NACM https://developer.cisco.com/docs/nso/guides/#!nso-5-6-administration-guide-the-aaa-infrastructure

abhkaul
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give these a try and see which one suits my use case the best. 

u.avsec
Spotlight
Spotlight

I'm guessing this might help you?

https://community.cisco.com/t5/nso-developer-hub-blogs/securing-your-secrets-with-the-cli-neds/ba-p/4473467

Auto-encrypting passwords in NSO section in particular