cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to avoid No capabilities found for device. Has a sync-from the device been performed?

pralala
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

We have a situation where we have not on boarded the device yet, but still would like to create an entry and using Services would like to Map the device configs.
But, Since the device is not on boarded yet, we are running into an issue while applying the template where it complains saying that it does not have any capabilities, "No capabilities found for device. Has a sync-from the device been performed?".

Is there a way to skip this and still go ahead with the mapping? We need a flag similar to accept-empty-capabilties which is used while apply device templates to a device.(Note that we are not using device template. We are using Template for CFS to RFS)
After the device is on boarded, we will do a sync from to get the capabilities.

For now, as a hack, i have inserted the capabilities and modules(that we get after a sync-from) into the templates(that is used for mapping CFS to RFS). So, it will be the responsibility of the template to populate the capability and the modules.
One disadvantage of the above hack is that there might be devices with different versions of yang. So, there could be some side effects there.

Another hack could be to put 1-2 dummy capability and module, and do the mapping. When the device is on boarded, we can do a sync from and then re-deploy the service to get the device config tree populated.

Please do let me know if there is a correct and better way to handle this problem

Regards,
Pratik Lala

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan.Sullivan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Pratik,

Well you could always create a service and if the device isn't present don't take any action and the service could easily be re-deployed when the device is actually added. Perhaps you could react to the device being onboarded. If you really need to modify the config before the device is present then I think you will have to either clone an existing device or programmatically add the capabilities.

-Dan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Dan.Sullivan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Pratik,

Well you could always create a service and if the device isn't present don't take any action and the service could easily be re-deployed when the device is actually added. Perhaps you could react to the device being onboarded. If you really need to modify the config before the device is present then I think you will have to either clone an existing device or programmatically add the capabilities.

-Dan