Views
Helpful
Replies

Learn by Doing Feedback

Jason Belk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi all,

I am the NSO Technical Evangelist in the NSO BU. I am starting a series I am calling "Learn by Doing", which I take one topic to learn and one use case (as simple as possible, and as focused as possible) and create a repo with some simple explanation that will work on the DevNet NSO reservable sandbox. 

I made the first one last week covering for loops in XML templates and using IOS radius server config:

https://github.com/jabelk/radius_server_example 

My question is this:

What parts of NSO would you like to see covered and/or what use cases (that are feasible in a CML 2.0 virtual topology of IOS/XR/ASA/NX devices) are interesting to you?

Thanks!

13 Replies 13

Nicklas Wagerth
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey, nice initiative Jason! To help get the creativity going, I will give the first three proposals a nice little prize!

//Nicklas

RichardD2
Level 1
Level 1

What a great idea! I would like to see an example service that checks to see if a routing protocol is up and learning routes before making changes. It doesn't have to be restricted to routing but checking state of something prior to making changes. 

The other idea would be to walk through the process of putting conditions into YANG models showing how it can reduce the complexity needed in the XML templates.

Thanks!

Great suggestions Richard! I will reach out in a private message. 

thanks! 

shaiferg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A common case we see are how to handle default values that don't display in the running-config. With a service and/or just the NED alone in such a way to avoid out-of-sync error. Preferably a config where there isn't a ned-setting to assist with the behavior. 

Another one, showcasing how to handle behavior not handled in the NED such as Dynamic Configuration, Macros, Configuration Validation

Thank you!

Are there any that come to mind for you that are particularly interesting? The one that jumps to mind for me is "

switchport access vlan 1

under an interface configuration needs a "show run all"

One of the most recent cases we saw were interface * speed auto. I think sometimes the default can even change across platforms/models

Shai, thank you for contributing! I will reach out in a private message to collect your shipping address

sangra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A good example would be showcasing NSO's Service portability across vendors/devices or moving all services from one device to another ( bulk porting) 

Have a service running on Nokia SR platform as PE, Replace it with Cisco XR device and how service redeployment takes care of re-deploying the service with minimum efforts - resource management aspects needs to be highlighted.  This helps explain the FASTMAP logic and related benefits of abstraction. 

Config Audit/Golden config use cases are pretty common & useful

thank you! 

Sheetal, thank you for contributing! I will reach out in a private message to collect your shipping address too!

l00pback
Level 1
Level 1

Awesome. I would like to see these two covered:
- Stacked services
- Nano services

Islam_Hassanin
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for your effort, i would like to cover commit queue scenarios.

Thanks! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: