cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ncs 5.3 Instance CDB boot error Init transaction failed to validate: illegal reference

rahendatri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have installed ncs5.3 in --system-installation mode on my VM. I created a netsim device

ncs-netsim create-network cisco-ios-cli-3.8 1 ios

then I created a NSO instance

ncs-setup --package packages/cisco-ios-cli-3.0 \
--package packages/cisco-ios-cli-3.8 \
--netsim-dir ./netsim --dest .

and in the same directory where I created the instance, I launched the NSO using this command

ncs

I got the following error

$ ncs
CDB boot error: Init transaction failed to validate: illegal reference /ncs:devices/device{ios0}/authgroup
Daemon died status=10

Could anybody help me with this error ? I really cannot figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rahenda

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Right, so it looks like you are attempting to use a system-install as you would the local-install… it doesn’t really work like that, but perhaps if you change many things in your setup you can get it to work.

In system-install NSO is started and stopped using the RC script installed in /etc/init.d/nso\
$ /etc/init.d/ncs start/stop

I believe this will use the run-time directory you used in –run-dir options during install – so creating a new run-time directory

Again, the examples are designed to be run with the local-install, running them on a system-install instance will take some work.
Likewise you will also find challengers using the system-install as a development platform.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lmanor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Rahenda,

Is there a specific reason you are attempting to use the NSO –system-install?
Generally that is used for production systems.
For learning to use NSO and for service development environments you will be better served by the local install (no switches), this will allow execution of NSO examples from the distribution and the ability to create multiple run-time directories – each with its own CDB, ncs.conf, logging, and packages, etc.

In the case of system-install, NSO is expecting that (by default) the following – you should not use ncs-setup to create a NSO run-time:

Installation Directory: /opt/ncs

Configuration Directory: /etc/ncs (where ncs.conf resides)

Running Directory: /var/opt/ncs

Log Directory: /var/log/ncs.

Hello Imanor,

Thank you for your fast response.

I understood that system installation is dedicated to production env. However, my current development needs to be as similar as possible to prod env. To do this, I use a RedHat VM and installed NSO in system mode.

For your information, I installed NSO using the following command, which means that the default folder are already redefined.

./nso-5.3.linux.x86_64.installer.bin --system-install \
--install-dir /opt/application/wancfs/install \
--run-dir /opt/application/wancfs/running \
--log-dir /opt/application/wancfs/log \
--config-dir /opt/application/wancfs/etc \
--keep-ncs-setup \
--run-as-user adwan

All files/folders inside /opt/application/wancfs/install belongs to adwan group and user (the same user used to launch ncs).

My $NCS_DIR is /opt/application/wancfs/install/ncs-5.3

All commands such as netsim, ncs-setup, and ncs were launched from an NSO examples folder : /opt/application/wancfs/install/ncs-5.3/examples.ncs/getting-started/using-ncs/1-simulated-cisco-ios

I already checked that when I am in the mentioned NSO examples folder, config directory is modified to point out the local runtime (see below)

ncs auth error.png

I cannot really see if there was something I missed.

Right, so it looks like you are attempting to use a system-install as you would the local-install… it doesn’t really work like that, but perhaps if you change many things in your setup you can get it to work.

In system-install NSO is started and stopped using the RC script installed in /etc/init.d/nso\
$ /etc/init.d/ncs start/stop

I believe this will use the run-time directory you used in –run-dir options during install – so creating a new run-time directory

Again, the examples are designed to be run with the local-install, running them on a system-install instance will take some work.
Likewise you will also find challengers using the system-install as a development platform.