Views
Helpful
Replies

Quagga NED ssh

sspehar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm interested in how would you connect to quagga router using ssh from NSO? So quagga runs multiple daemons for each functionality it provides (bgpd, ospfd, zebra..), and these daemons are accessible on their associated telnet ports, so I can add a device to NSO on telnet port 2605(bgpd) and using the quagga-bgp NED manage that daemon, that works.

But I see that the NED has the setupSSH method, so I guess there is a way to use ssh? Is it able to connect to vtysh on quagga? I wasn't successfull with ssh, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"vtysh" was the component I couldn't remember the name of, and yes, that's just a proxy. I admit I haven't set this up myself, but I can't imagine it being difficult to place SSH (e.g. OpenSSH) in front of vtysh. A small matter of system configuration? Have you tried setting up vtysh as the login shell on the Linux system hosting your Quagga?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is true that each Quagga component has a telnet style CLI of its own. Most Quagga users, however, setup Quagga with a central proxy component (I forget the name of the component right now) that supports SSH and forwards all commands to the correct sub component(s) in the framework.

Hi Jan, thanks! Looking for this kind of proxy component, the only thing I found resembling is vtysh, which is the quagga integrated shell for handling all daemons. But that's just 'frontend', and I think you can't remotely ssh to it so neither can NED.

If you happen to remember the name of that component I would appreciate if you let me know. Thanks!

"vtysh" was the component I couldn't remember the name of, and yes, that's just a proxy. I admit I haven't set this up myself, but I can't imagine it being difficult to place SSH (e.g. OpenSSH) in front of vtysh. A small matter of system configuration? Have you tried setting up vtysh as the login shell on the Linux system hosting your Quagga?

Simple as that :) I've added /usr/bin/vtysh as the shell for my user inside /etc/passwd. Works as expected.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: