Views
Helpful
Replies

REST API for NSO NED

Michal Garcarz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

I am looking for guide or examples of usage of REST API on NSO to modify device configuration.

Guides like this:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/nso-developer-hub-documents/rest-api-basics/ta-p/3635342

Presents basic API to control NSO, get it's config etc.

But how to manage devices managed by NSO using YANG models via API ?

Example: my NSO manages FMC using API. Can add/remove access control policy entry (ACL).

I do not want to use NSO via CLI nor Web interface, but API only.

So: how can i add a new ACL entry to all my FMC's using northbound API with NSO ? 

Any documentation/example code greatly appreciated.

Several links are dead, like this: http://ciscodevnet.github.io/#/projects (nso-labs link is 404)

Thanks,

Michal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I strongly suggest you go with the standard RESTCONF (RFC 8040) interface rather than the old (an no longer evolving) proprietary REST API. You may want to have a look at the RESTCONF example that comes with the NSO package as a starting point: .../nso/4.7/examples.ncs/getting-started/developing-with-ncs/13-restconf/README

The RESTCONF API lets you manage everything inside NSO in a uniform way, so it doesn't really matter if you are adding new devices to the device list, modifying existing service instances or adding device ACL rules. It all works the same way.

Thanks for the pointer to the page with the broken link. I've never seen it before. I'll make sure the link is removed. If you want to find NSO on DevNet, there is a big, fat, black button on the right side of this page labelled "Back to DEVNET". if you click it you'll soon find a round blue button "NSO Learning Labs". Or you can type the URL cisco.com/go/nsodevnet

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I strongly suggest you go with the standard RESTCONF (RFC 8040) interface rather than the old (an no longer evolving) proprietary REST API. You may want to have a look at the RESTCONF example that comes with the NSO package as a starting point: .../nso/4.7/examples.ncs/getting-started/developing-with-ncs/13-restconf/README

The RESTCONF API lets you manage everything inside NSO in a uniform way, so it doesn't really matter if you are adding new devices to the device list, modifying existing service instances or adding device ACL rules. It all works the same way.

Thanks for the pointer to the page with the broken link. I've never seen it before. I'll make sure the link is removed. If you want to find NSO on DevNet, there is a big, fat, black button on the right side of this page labelled "Back to DEVNET". if you click it you'll soon find a round blue button "NSO Learning Labs". Or you can type the URL cisco.com/go/nsodevnet