cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed up retrieval of router config.

lightfep1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router that has a very large config, (almost 100k lines when retrieved from NSO in json format) when I do a GET on the config?deep it takes almost 1 to 1.5 minutes to return. I have done some testing and RAM is good, but I am seeing that I maxing 1 CPU for this time. This VM has 8 cores, is there some way to change the settings so that it can spread this process out across more cores to speed up the return? 

5 Replies 5

vleijon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The main thing to check is the ned-settings for the particular device. What device type is it?

This device is an IOSXR, so I am using the Cisco-ios-xr ned. 

There are a few settings to use, first of all make sure extended-parser turbo-mode is used. Second of all, try experimenting with read method – setting sftp-transfer could make things better. I haven’t had to tune this myself so I am not sure what works in practice.

I think you are thinking of the interaction from NSO to the device, I am trying to go from an external application to NSO and pull the devices config that is stored in NSO (after completing a sync) via the /rest or /api . Even if i pull as a xml or Json it is taking almost 2 mins to complete. I am seeing one CPU go 100% for the duration I am waiting and once the results appear, the cpu goes back down. my question is there a way to improve this retrieval process from NSO or allow it to expand beyond just one processor to improve response times.   

You are right of course, no, then I don’t know unfortunately.