Views
Helpful
Replies

Use external Inventory system for devices and not Register Devices in NSO

Johan Nemitz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Question:

Assuming one wants to source the devices from another inventory source, and NOT import/add them into NSO, is there an option for such a scenario with NSO?

Example:

I have my inventory database that has all my devices. I just want to manage and maintain the ADD/REMOVE of devices ONLY in this one inventory database (don’t want to manage and maintain the same inventory in NSO again). But then I need to use the device inventory in my inventory database with NSO.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's right. NSO needs to have the devices it manages in its database if you want things like sync-from and services to work. Devices that NSO doesn't touch, or touches only briefly on rare occasions, might not need to be in the NSO device list.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems like what you want to do is to integrate your inventory system with NSO so that whenever a device is added/deleted/modified (i.e. device name, management connectivity attributes – IP address, credentials, etc.) the corresponding changes also take place in NSO.

Yes. Except without doing the data replication between the two systems (only keep the data in the inventory system) - kind of like a soft link in Linux.  I don't think that this is possible but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

That's right. NSO needs to have the devices it manages in its database if you want things like sync-from and services to work. Devices that NSO doesn't touch, or touches only briefly on rare occasions, might not need to be in the NSO device list.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: