Views
Helpful
Replies

1000BASE-LX/LH SFP for Both Multimode and Single-Mode Fibers

Chris Holub
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have a Cisco 4506-E and I need to add more fiver ports so I'm buying a WS-X4624-SFP-E line card and I was looking for some MM and SM SFP's to have on hand for them and found these which claim to do both. Am I understanding that correctly that these Cisco SFP-GE-L 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP will work with both Single and Multimode fiber?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

Cheers,

Chris 

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 Cisco SFP-GE-L 1000BASE-LX/LH

First one is only for ASR and Nexus (I think) and may have trouble on Catalyst switches.  Second one is compatible with Catalyst switch. 

Both modules are only used for single-mode optical fibre module and won't work with multi-mode fibre.

What are you talking 1st and 2nd one? Are you referring to the list from that web page I sent?

I'm just asking about this one Cisco SFP-GE-L 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP

This is what it says on the website:

1000BASE-LX/LH SFP for Both Multimode and Single-Mode Fibers

The 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP, compatible with the IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-LX standard, operates on standard single-mode fiber-optic link spans of up to 10 km and up to 550 m on any multimode fibers. When used over legacy multimode fiber type, the transmitter should be coupled through a mode conditioning patch cable. For details on this implementation, refer tohttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_bulletin_c25-530836.html.

So I was just wondering if I read it right in assuming it works for both SM and MM

Cheers,

Chris

Cisco SFP-GE-L

I believe this SFP is only for ASR & Nexus. 

For Catalyst switches, use GLC-LH-SMD. 

See the end of the product name, "L"?  That means Long haul/range.  It is NOT designed for short distance and used with multi-mode cables.  

The price for multi-mode (short haul) module is exactly HALF of the value of a long haul (LH) module.