Views
Helpful
Replies

15454 - ML-MR-10 card

k.desrosiers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We use 15454 MSPPs (r9.0) on our network.

We're interested in buying ML-MR-10 cards because it provides switching capabilities and aggregation.

We want to use these cards to connect to a third-party using POS.

This third-party network only supports POS encapsulation types HDLC and PPP and does NOT support GFP.

For what I've read, the ML-MR-10 supports only GFP encapsulation type for SONET.

Can someone confirm that please?

If ML-MR-10 car cannot support HDLC or PPP for POS, which card should we use instead? ML1000-2?

BRGs,

KD

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Reviewing the Config Guide (link below)

Framing Mode, Encapsulation, and CRC Support

The ML-Series cards on the ONS 15454 and ONS 15454 SDH support two modes of the POS framing mechanism, GFP-F framing and HDLC framing (default). The framing mode, encapsulation, and CRC size on source and destination POS ports must match for a POS circuit to function properly. "POS on ONS Ethernet Cards," explains the framing mechanisms, encapsulations, and cyclic redundancy check (CRC) bit sizes in detail.

Supported encapsulation and CRC sizes for the framing types are detailed in Table 8-3.

Table 8-3     Supported Encapsulation, Framing, and CRC Sizes for ML-Series Cards on the ONS 15454 and ONS 15454 SDH

Encapsulations for HDLC Framing

CRC Sizes for HDLC Framing

Encapsulations for GFP-F Framing

CRC Sizes for GFP-F Framing

ML-Series

LEX (default)

Cisco HDLC

PPP/BCP

16-bit

32-bit (default)

LEX (default)

Cisco HDLC

PPP/BCP

32-bit (default)

:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r9_0/ethernet/454/guide/45490a_configpos.html#wpxref27842

Hello Tom,

Actually, in the documentation "Configuring POS" (which you refer to), I read that this chaoter applies to the ML-Series but only for ML100T-12, ML100X-8 and ML1000-2 cards (1st line).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r9_0/ethernet/454/guide/45490a_configpos.html#wpxref27842

There is another document "Configuring POS on the ML-MR-10 Card" in which I see that ML-MR-10 cards support only GFP-F encapsulation for SONET. See table 31-6.

Ther's also a note saying that the HDLC encapsulation can be configured on POS. However, the circuit does not come up and the configuration should be blocked.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r9_0/ethernet/454/guide/45490a_configposmlmr.pdf

I'm thinking about using a ML1000-2 instead of a ML-MR-10 card so it can interface with either a 3rd-party router or a Cisco 12000 GSR...

I'm a bit confused here and I don't know why the ML-MR-10 card would be the only one of the ML-Series that do NOT support HDLC or PPP for POS?

BRGs

KD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: