Views
Helpful
Replies

9200/9300 old transceiver compability

zwierzu90
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,
simple question, maybe  someone had this kind  of issue.
- does old transceivers  GLC-SX-MM ani GLC-LH-SM using OM1 cable will work with new 9200/9300 with appropriate  network module?
In transceiver matrix there is just data about MMD and SMD transceivers and  barely any  cable  data.
best regards

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GLC-LH-SM will NEVER work with OM1.  

"OM" stands for Optical Multi-Mode.

wrongly written question, i meant
1. will GLC-LH-SM and  GLC-SX-MM work with 9300/9200
2. Will GLC-SX-MM + OM1 work with 9300/9200
sorry for inconvenience

@zwierzu90 wrote:

1. will GLC-LH-SM and  GLC-SX-MM work with 9300/9200

9200 will need the C9200-NM-4G or C9200-NM-4X.  

9300 will need the C9300-NM-4G or C9300-NM-8X.  

NOTE:  No, the NM are mutually exclusive.  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check here based on the Module and cable required :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/datasheet-c78-366584.html

check also module compatability before installing them in Cat 9200 / Cat 9300 (most of them work)

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Still no data in both link regarding  GLC-LH-SM and GLC-SX-MM (without D at the end)

@zwierzu90 wrote:

Still no data in both link regarding  GLC-LH-SM and GLC-SX-MM (without D at the end)

Wait ... are you trying to connect a GLC-LH-SM to a GLC-SX-MM?

This conversation is getting harder than expected.. Please read my points carefully
1. Ive gut bunch of 3750x and  2960x which I want to replace with 9300/9200
2. In those old switched were multiple GLC-LH-SM and GLC-SX-MM (+OM1 cable) used.
3. I want to check, if those transceivers will work with 9300/9200 or I have to purchase new ones.
4. Please ignore NM question as it is  still  undecided, It will be  one of  SFP/SPF+ form like C9300-NM-8X and I am aware that is have to be added to switch config.
5. Please be informed, that tmgmatrix is empty about switches and NM complability with  GLC-LH-SM and GLC-SX-MM.
6. Question about connecting GLC-LH-SM and  GLC-SX-MM together I will leave unanswered...
best regards

If the matrix do not have support, they don't support, so you need to buy compatible models - easy answer.

by the way, is this really Cisco SFP ? or 3rd party on older kit, then i would say stay away from that, buy cisco one for better support.

BB

In the martix there is no device that GLC-LH-SM and GLC-SX-MM supports so there is obvious problem in there.
Even 2960x where  these transceivers function well.
Therefore I post the  question  here, but there  were no  helpful answers other than link to the well known tools, which appear to have problem.

Hello,

try the command:

9300(config)#service unsupported-trasnceivers

Maybe it works...

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Even 2960x where these transceivers function well.   - Let me ask my question again here below as i was asked not got postive reply.

is this really Cisco SFP ? or 3rd party

if this SFP industry standard and cisco SFP, they should work on Cat 9200/Cat 9300 - but we only go with support list

if this non-standard cisco one. stay away - cisco may not support 3rd party when it plugged in and looking for support ( that is your risk)

can you post from old 2960X

show inventory for that port where this SFP connect to understand better - we only go with the information provided, so kindly provide more information as possible so it will help others can view your environment and suggest best.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card