Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot connect E1 to SDH network via ONS 15305

Hi,

I have 3 ONS 15305 in a SDH ring. I connected three routers with ONS via E1 ports. but i can only connect them in a point to point basis. eg. i connected R1 with ONS1 and R2 with ONS2 and i did a cross connect between SDH and E1. I am able to ping the otherend routers. but the case becomes critical when i connect another ONS in the network with another router. pl help.

30 Replies 30

I checked the STM1 ports, they are connected fine(3/1 in both ONS).

The ethernet ports which are connected to the routers are same in the ONSs' (lan 2/8, wan 2/16).

i am connecting the ethernet ports and led's in the ONS and router are glowing.

also checked the mapping for both. they are same.

one more thing. it gives alarms sequence indicator mismatch.

after all these it is sure that i am doing something wrong. could you tell me what steps i need to follow in edge craft to pass ethernet over SDH.

I have not worked Edge Craft of 15305 so cannot help in that.

see the explanation of sequence indicator mismatch on this link

Why

This alarm appears when the received sequence (SQ) number is different from the expected sequence number. This is applicable only in non-LCAS mode

Possible problem

Check the configuration at the other end and verify the cross-connects

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2001/products_tech_note09186a00804427f8.shtml

Is there any more alarms?

Did you used any loop to figure out where the problem is? IF we dont know where the problem is then difficult to find a solution.

Mapping a VC12 circuit to other end correctly means

Let see a circuit from Etherent Port is connect to First STM 1 port of ONS 1 then circuit at other ONS should also be at STM port which is connected to the same STM ONS 1.

If you cross the cable of STM ports or mapping to different STM port at both places, you will see the lights glowing but cannot communicate.

Explanation of WAN Port Channel Sequencing is found at Figure 5-53 of Cisco Edge Craft Software Guide r2.0.

Hi Vishwa / Tom,

I suppose that i have done everything possible but i feel something is wrong. E1 over SDH is working fine, but i cannot get ethernet over SDH to work. even the point to point Ethernet over SDH is not working. any clues.

in the next post i will upload the screenshots.

The screenshot for first ONS is attached. The same WAN to SDH mapping for Ethernet Over SDH & Cross connect for E1 over SDH has been done for the rest two ONS. but then the E1 is working but not the Ethernet.

I believe the problem might be in the way each node's WAN channels are mapped to SDH. I may be wrong but it is difficult to determine given the screen pictures you provided.

A STM-1 ring has a maximum capacity 63 E1s/VC-12s. If we need to interconnect a network containing 3 nodes, we need 3 circuits, A-B, A-C, B-C, to connect the EoSDH cards together. Each Ethernet WAN circuit can have a maximum of 21 VC-12 Channels (63 VC-12 within an STM1 divided by 3 circuits). You will need to reduce the WAN circuit sizes if other traffic (E-1s. etc) is being carried on the network.

Circuit Examples.

From

Node A

WAN Port 8

WAN Channels 1-21

To

Node B

WAN Port 8

WAN Channels 1-21

From

Node A

WAN Port 9

WAN Channels 22 to 42

To

Node C

WAN Port 9

WAN Channels 22 to 42

From

Node B

WAN Port 10

WAN Channels 43 to 63

To

Node C

WAN Port 10

WAN Channels 43 to 63

The circuits that connect the ends of a WAN Port's WAN Channel need to be on the same SDH VC-12 channel. Example, Node A, WAN Port 8, WAN Channel 1 must connect over the same SDH VC-12 as Node B, WAN Port 8, WAN Channel 1.

Is any of this helping?

I wish we had someone who has deployed the 15305 with EoSDH helping with your configurations.

ok. i will try these. but for the initial testing i have only connected one ethernet ports of both the ONS to two routers and configured the aforesaid way for all the 50 channels. but then too i am not able to ping from Router1 to Router2.

one more question. Is it right to connect the ethernet port directly to a router or a L2 switch in between may help?

You should be able to connect a router directly to the 305's E100 port.

This white paper outlines such a network:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2001/products_white_paper09186a008021dea6.shtml

missed the attachment in the prev. post.

Can you provide things like

At ONS 1

which Lanport is selected as per ONS screen shot (OSC) it 2.1

Which channel is selecetd i can see in OSC channel 15 ended at 1.5.3 is used

Which vcgroup you have selected i see something 2.14 (but in alarm i see 2.9) which one you are using

In vcgroup their is option called bandwidth can you tell what bandwidth is selecetd

Need the same above mentioned point for other ONS also.

If possible take screen shots for both ONS or the data asked above.

You have several alarms critical also, as per those setting are different in other ONS.

Oops, in the screen shot I mistakenly selected lan 2.1. the correct ports are given below.

LAN/WAN Used: (For All the ONS)

Lan port : 2.8

WAN port : 2.16

STM1 Connectivity:

ONS1 3.2 <-> ONS2 3.1

ONS2 3.2 <-> ONS3 3.2

ONS3 3.1 <-> ONS1 3.1

Routers:

R1 fa0/0 <-> ONS 2.8

R2 fa0/0 <-> ONS 2.8

R3 fa0/0 <-> ONS 2.8

ONS settings (common for all ONS)

LCAS : no LCAS

Bandwidth: 100 mbps 50 channels.

VCgroup : 2.16

concatenation: VC12

After the configuration of WAN to SDH mapping, no alarms regarding the VCgroup or SDH occurs. but i can't ping the routers.

With no SDH alarms for the VC group then need to look into the L2 settings.

What are the statistics showing on the 15305 LAN settings? Maybe create a static route in the 15305s for the connected router?

I am drawing straws.

Is your E1 working for E1 port when you take out cable as earlier you told it doesnot work.

If it is not working in protection mode and you have connected all the ONS the way mentioned here

STM1 Connectivity:

ONS1 3.2 <-> ONS2 3.1

ONS2 3.2 <-> ONS3 3.2

ONS3 3.1 <-> ONS1 3.1

Suppose you have create circuit between ONS 1 & 2. One circuit goes directly from ONs 1 to ONS 2 but other goes in ONS 1-ONS 3_ONS2 direction. For the other direction you have to pass through the E1 at ONS2 then it should work. You can try and then pull the cable.

One more design kind of precaution you can take here (when everything is working) is that if you are configuring any E1 for E1 ports then take Channel no 51-63 otherwise you will not be able to create a 100Mb circuit for Ethernet.

Hi Tom,

as mentioned in your other post, for ethernet do you have any setting apart from mapping E1 from WAN to SDH in 15454.

I figured the problem for the non-working of the EoSDH. I created a vlan and put the lan and wan ports in the same vlan. it started working. I was of the impression that Lan1 is mapped with wan1 etc.. but later i figured out that any lan can work with any wan port.

thanks 2 you guys.

after the configuration of EoSDH. i am facing a loop kind of issue.

ONS1 wan2/15 <-> ONS2 wan2/15

ONS1 wan1/16 <-> ONS3 wan3/16

ONS1 wan2/14 <-> ONS3 wan2/14

when i am removing a STM1 cable from the port all the routers pings, but when i insert the cable once again the ping stops.

Glad to see you can at least get it to ping!

I would have thought that the spanning tree on 305 switches would have prevented a loop. Check to see if it is active using the link below:

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2001/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00808bdd76.html#wp1040198>

Should your last SDH connection in your previous post's list:

ONS1 wan2/14 <-> ONS3 wan2/14

really be

ONS2 wan2/14 <-> ONS3 wan2/14?

Are the SDH circuits protected or unprotected? Are they set-up as revertive or non-revertive?

HOpe this helps!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card