cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between the "SFP-10G-SR-S" and "SFP-10G-SR".

For an upcoming project our vendor has recommended us the "SFP-10G-SR-S" instead of "SFP-10G-SR". It seems that the "SFP-10G-SR-S" is a cheaper option. 

Technically I do not see any major difference between the "SFP-10G-SR-S" and "SFP-10G-SR". Both support 50micron OM3 till 300meter and we will be going with OM3. This is for a campus infrastructure with the links being used in 10 Gig mode and as L3 links only.

What are the technical differences as per you? Is there anything we need to factor into?

Regards,

N.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For your use case the S-class is a recommended and much more inexpensive option.

The non-S class are only indicated for environments requiring any of the following:

• OTN or WAN-PHY support
• Optics deployed in non-temperature controlled environments, e.g. rugged/ industrial (RGD)
• Optics plugged on platforms that require extended operating temperature range (EXT)
• TAA compliance

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For your use case the S-class is a recommended and much more inexpensive option.

The non-S class are only indicated for environments requiring any of the following:

• OTN or WAN-PHY support
• Optics deployed in non-temperature controlled environments, e.g. rugged/ industrial (RGD)
• Optics plugged on platforms that require extended operating temperature range (EXT)
• TAA compliance

Just one more addition, the -S class does not support FCoE.

Even if the data-sheet is telling that FCoE is not supported by the -S class optics, I don't understand why it shouldn't. I mean the physics is normal ethernet framing not knowing what payload it is transporting - whether it is an encapsulated FC packet or an encapsulated IP packet. Or can anyone tell me why this should matter?

many thanks

Hi Marvin,

We have a lot of servers which are 10G and they are copper ports. I have a nexus 5672UP here. Is there an SFP available for 10G copper?

Thanks

Deepak George

The only copper 10 Gbps transceivers the 5672UP supports are the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CUxM twinax ones (with the transceiver built in on the cable). This is as listed here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html

For 10 Gbps copper natively, you would need something like the Nexus 3k series with 10GBaseT interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-3000-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-651097.html

Those can use Cat 6a directly.

Hi Marvin,

please tell me if OTN and WAN-PHY are mandatory where we connect Cisco devices over a DWDM network? As far I know our customer (SP) has a DWDM network and Cisco devices (A9K, C7600) are using regular SFP-10G-LR without any special configuration. Just plug and play.

I am asking this because I have to be sure if we can propose S-Class optics.

S-class optics are available only in the most common reaches needed in enterprise and data center applications.  S-class is Ethernet only, no OTN  or. In addition, it is no TAA compliance for S-class. Moreover, S-class and non-S-class optics are with different temperature ranges. Thus, if you are an enterprise or datacenter environment that doesn’t need any special long distance, temperature tolerances, or other special features, S-Class optics are cheaper and should be just fine for you. 

Darit@cisco
Level 1
Level 1
Cisco S-Class Module VS Cisco Non-S-Class Module

Cisco only published four 10G S-class SFP+ modules and two 40G S-class QSFP+ modules. The following table listed Cisco S-class modules. Cisco S-class modules seem to have no differences from the non-S-class modules. However, if you read the specification of these modules and the suggestions from Cisco, you will find the differences.

Data RateS-Class ModuleNon-S-Class ModuleMedia
10GSFP-10G-SR-SSFP-10G-SRMMF (duplex)
10GSFP-10G-LR-SSFP-10G-LRSMF (duplex)
10GSFP-10G-ER-SSFP-10G-ERSMF (duplex)
10GSFP-10G-ZR-SSFP-10G-ZRSMF (duplex)
40GQSFP-40G-SR4-SQSFP-40G-SR4MMF (ribbon)
40GQSFP-40G-LR4-SQSFP-40G-LR4SMF (duplex)

Protocol

The standard non-S-class Cisco modules like SFP-10G-SR and SFP-10G-LR can support three protocols including Ethernet, OTN (Optical Transport Network) and WAN-PHY (Wide Area Network Physics). However, the S-class modules can only support Ethernet protocol.

Temperature Range

Compared with Cisco C-class modules which can be operating with three different temperature ranges, the Cisco S-class modules can only support the commercial temperature ranges which is 0 to 70°C (32 to 158°F).

• Commercial temperature range (COM): 0 to 70°C (32 to 158°F)
  • Extended temperature range (EXT): -5 to 85°C (23 to 185°F)
  • Industrial temperature range (IND): -40 to 85°C (-40 to 185°F)

Transmission Distance

Cisco has introduced that the S-class modules are suggested to be used in enterprise network. In addition, the operating temperature range is smaller, thus, S-class module is recommended for shorter transmission distance applications compared with other standard modules.

ref. fiber-optic-tutorial

mariosalvador
Level 1
Level 1

mariosalvador_0-1691158804958.png

Both sfp compared in these post are rated 

as operating temperature range COM ( Commercial)

The only difference from Cisco Spec sheet is that the -S denomination means the sfp does not support FCOE .

emory.clayton
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with you @mariosalvador. The only difference between the 2 is that the -S denomination means the SFP does not support FCOE. Here are the links to the optics in question. As you will see under the "Physical and Operational Characteristics" sections, the operating temperatures are exactly the same. 

SFP-10G-SR
https://copi.cisco.com/?tpid=73

SFP-10G-SR-S
https://copi.cisco.com/?tpid=74

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card