Views
Helpful
Replies

FIBER CONNECTION TO MANAGED SWITCH SMALL BUSINESS 300 SERIES

jjacob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I'm just wondering if media convertors works with Cisco managed switches Small Business 300 series model.

I have a situation wherein I have a Pelco Based IP Based camera with PoE+ connection to a media convertor of Allied Telesis Brand PC series. Then, I have existing fiber optic cable in the location, where one end can be connected to this media convertor via SFP module and the other end to a fiber optic patch panel and onto the Cisco Managed switch.

I'm wondering if my above concept is right or wrong.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Looking forward to your suggestions and comments!

Thank you in Advance!

7 Replies 7

Hi

It seesm straightforward . This switch model has 2 Gigabit Ethernet combo and can use tihs SFPs:

Supported SFP modules

SKU

Media

Speed

Maximum Distance

MFEFX1

Multimode fiber

100 Mbps

2 km

MFELX1

Single-mode fiber

100 Mbps

10 km

MFEBX1

Single-mode fiber

100 Mbps

20 km

MGBBX1

Single-mode fiber

1000 Mbps

40 km

MGBSX1

Multimode fiber

1000 Mbps

300 m

MGBLH1

Single-mode fiber

1000 Mbps

40 km

MGBLX1

Single-mode fiber

1000 Mbps

10 km

MGBT1

UTP cat 5

1000 Mbps

100 m

Thank you so much Miranda, for your reply and suggestion. So, its possible that media convertors can work with Cisco Managed Switches with the help of SFP modules, is that right? I believe that is the concept of connecting fiber optic cable between media convertor and managed switches.

Yeah, I dont see any problem as long as you use the correct SFP and fiber on both sides.

I did it many time for different porpuses.

Thank you Miranda! another question that just came into my mind is the usage of SFP's. Since the media convertor and the managed switch are of two different brands, does the SFP need to be the same on both ends?

From the switch side you need to use any supported SFP. You can see those here on the datasheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-smart-switches/data_sheet_c78-610061.html 

Section: MFE and MGE Transceiver Ordering Information

Now, from the converter side, it depends.

Are you going to connect the switch directly to this media convertor of Allied Telesis Brand PC or will be some rack in between?

If the connection is direct, then, you are going to need a Multimode cable from the switch SFP up to the convertor Fiber port (Internal SFP).

Yes, it is going to be a direct connection to the media convertor.

Thank you so much Miranda, for the solution! 

Any problem let me know. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card