Views
Helpful
Replies

Is my fiber run too short for an LRM??

PacNWNetTek
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning Cisco Community,

Hopefully this is a quick and easy question. I am upgrading a 1G SFP SR to a 10SFP LRM on an OM1 line is it possible to experience issues if the run is say just 50ft? I am doing a lot of research on SFP's and I am finding that it doesnt matter which type(SR/LRM) it is on the OM1 line, if its 10G the max range is 33m and exceeding that will give you issues. However, I am curious if using a LRM on a rather "short" run will also do similar. This will tell me that i should use a 10G SR instead.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the datasheet : 1 Minimum cabling distance for -SR, -LRM, -LR, -ER modules is 2m, according to the IEEE 802.3ae. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the datasheet : 1 Minimum cabling distance for -SR, -LRM, -LR, -ER modules is 2m, according to the IEEE 802.3ae. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

PacNWNetTek
Level 1
Level 1

@balaji.bandi definitely clears it up. Thanks

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Believe specs only require minimum of 2 meters, as also noted by @balaji.bandi .

However if you do run into to this, like when using ZX kind of optics, sometimes there might be a "coil" of fiber at one or both ends to provide the longer needed fiber run, or you might use attenuators, which come with different dB specs, to diminish signal strength.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card